Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

Originally Posted by merz ->
"You can fix your gas and electricity prices until 2013 by signing up to our new Price Promise March 2013.........
Given the volatile nature of energy prices and the current economic climate, this means to do this there is a 5% premium on top of our new standard tariff rates that come into effect from 18 August 2011"

I take it this means that electricity prices will rise by 16% plus 5%-total 21% increase, and gas prices will rise by 18% plus 5%-total 23% increase.

Not sure whether I will go for this or not-got to let them know before 18 August.....
Originally Posted by Mags ->
We received the same letter this morning Merz and took it to mean the same as you did.

We're not sure about it either, there always seems to be a catch somewhere.

Why do these fuel companies have to make everything so compicated I am sure they try to confuse us intentionally .
I spent the best part of a day trying to compare different tariffs before moving to a new supplier.
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2011, 02:45 PM

I cant see prices dropping any time in the near, or far, future, I think they will continue to rise, another energy company this morning has published plans to raise prices on October 14th, I think this is the trend, and if we have another hard winter, prices will rise once more, I am tempted to go for the BG scheme, I have enquired into it and if you want to be released from the contract at anytime, It will cost £60
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 02:39 PM

As anticipated, we've just had our Gas & Electricity Statement for the last quarter - Gas £75 and Electricity £65, almost exactly the same as last year.
The worrying thing is our fixed 2-year deal ends in March next year and we know that prices have gone up again so we'll be looking for another fixed rate deal again.
Had yours yet?
We've looked into switching several times but when you add everything up it's not such a good move in most occasions and our neighbours found their bills increased when they switched!
We did one a while back for 5 years that turned out to be the best move we ever made - British Gas informed us that we'd saved £1746 on that tariff - about £310 per year but it's unlikely to be on offer again.
I detected that they were a bit miffed at that saving because they kept reminding us of it!!
We pay DDs for our energy and both are in credit so, at the moment, we're happy - just dreading 2012!! stevmk2
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 03:27 PM

By damn Martin that was a good deal #75and #65 tat
put together is less than my gas bill alone.I realise that
people use energy differently.If I had those bills I'd be
jumping with joy
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 05:58 PM

I am with age concern and my both bills are together £50 odd a month, but don't know if that will be right this time next year
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 06:03 PM

We are with Eon and had a terrific dual fuel deal which Knocked around a third off our bills compared to the previous tarriff... This deal has now just ended and we have had to go onto a different tariff which will probably put it back up to what it was on the first tariff...

I have searched all over but there is no cheap deal these days, just varying levels of expensive..
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 07:06 PM

We are on LPGand it keeps going up, at the moment its£110 something for two cylinders and in winter it lasts ten days and in summer it can go six weeks ,depending how wet or cold it is. We pay about £60 for electricity a quarter.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

10-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Can someone explain why bills are split up into so many units at this rate and so many at that rate?

Why is it made so complicated? A ploy to put the prices up or is there a valid reason for it?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2011, 07:44 PM

To confuse the masses, as in elderly.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Can someone explain why bills are split up into so many units at this rate and so many at that rate? Why is it made so complicated? A ploy to put the prices up or is there a valid reason for it?
The original reason Hammer was that gas and electricity had demand peaks during the day so people were advised to try to move their electricity demands to different times of the day with the carrot and stick approach that it would be cheaper to run your washer / dryer for example in the late evenings or at night on timers. In one house I lived in it had a night storage heater which ran on Economy 7 at night.
Pretty useless most of the time in daytime because the heat given out by ours was minimal so we turned the thing off and had temperature-controlled convector heaters in the bedrooms on timers.
The effect was we reduced our bills slightly because we were still using cheaper electricity but the house was warmer than before but had we used them in peak hours our bills would have gone up 30%.
Ofgem has be urged to look at this again with prices increasing dramatically but energy companies are still resisting, saying it's better for the customers to be able to try to keep some control of their consumption. stevmk2

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top