Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 06:19 PM

Re: Ways of saving mobile data when in hospital?

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well when we were on paygo I never spent more than £2 a month but I was only texting and making calls. When we got smart phones that changed completely and contract was far cheaper. Not on them all the time but just downloading books and music can cost a lot on paygo.
I don't really understand why you would use a mobile phone to download books and music. Surely you can do that at home for "free" on your broadband which you are already paying for. Equally you could do it on an iPad or small laptop/netbook for free using any free WiFi outlet such as coffee shops and so on.

You're paying a huge £780 a year for broadband and 4 mobile phones with unlimited stuff. Seems horrendous to me but then I'm not a heavy user.

I pay £15 a month for unlimited broadband so £180 per year plus I pay £30 a year for my mobile. Total £210 a year.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I don't really understand why you would use a mobile phone to download books and music. Surely you can do that at home for "free" on your broadband which you are already paying for. Equally you could do it on an iPad or small laptop/netbook for free using any free WiFi outlet such as coffee shops and so on.

You're paying a horrendous £780 a year for broadband and 4 mobile phones with unlimited stuff. Seems horrendous to me but then I'm not a heavy user.

I pay £15 a month for unlimited broadband so £180 per year plus I pay £30 a year for my mobile. Total £210 a year.
Because I read on my phone and my kindle and I am often either at work when I need to download something or away at our caravan. I'm not claiming to be most organised person BTW but with prime unlimited I only get 10 books free at a time so if I am away I might need another couple.

As for music I listen while I work to music and radio both can gobble up data

We are 4 users so I don't think we are exactly being over charged although obviously I wouldn't moan if it was cheaper.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 07:09 PM

Hmmm ok. It does pay to be more organised I guess.

We are also big readers when we go on holiday but to that end we sort out a whole raft of Kindle books before we go away. We download them to our laptops first then I use a piece of software to strip away the DRM from them and convert them to ePub format. We then load up eReader devices and phones as required.

In terms of music, I think the whole idea of paying for "a listen" rather than paying for the actual song or album is absolutely ridiculous. So again I would put all my CD albums into MP3 format or equiv and load them all on my devices, either phones, netbooks or whatever.

I honestly think its really daft for people to keep streaming content to simply "listen" to something instead of getting hold of a personal copy that they can then play unlimited times. Imagine what that situation is doing to the overall internet bandwidth ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 09:40 PM

If you have amazon prime you can listen to so many albums and singles for no extra cost, they say free but obviously you pay for the prime so not as free as they say. I haven't got half the music I like in physical form but I can listen to my hearts content to all my 70s favourites and loads from today too.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 10:03 PM

In terms of music, I think the whole idea of paying for "a listen" rather than paying for the actual song or album is absolutely ridiculous. So again I would put all my CD albums into MP3 format or equiv and load them all on my devices, either phones, netbooks or whatever.
Back off ignore (lol) just to say I agree with you on that, Wikiman. Streaming I guess is for people who don't have a very big music library. All of my 6500 albums are on mp3 now and I either play them via a player connected to a speaker, or make CDRWs for the car with up to 60 tracks on each.
I can't use ear pods due to tinnitus.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

02-12-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I haven't got half the music I like in physical form but I can listen to my hearts content to all my 70s favourites and loads from today too.
So instead of spending money on streaming music, spend it on buying the actual CDs, or MP3s. You'll build up your library in no time.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 10:41 PM

So instead of spending money on streaming music, spend it on buying the actual CDs, or MP3s. You'll build up your library in no time.
Or use a music sharing site wherby you swap albums with others. I can't mention any though as they're not all legal
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-12-2018, 10:37 AM

I can't go back to storing so many books and CDs etc, already have two floor to ceiling storage shelving units for DVDs and two smaller table top ones for CDs.

I have to use my music etc as I work so ear buds or head phones connected to my phone are how I listen. I'd love to have the opportunity to listen with speakers, just not on at work though.

Streaming is great IMO suits my life style perfectly.

I can see why it might not suit everyone but for me it's fine.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

03-12-2018, 11:20 AM

Julie just load your smart phone with all your music in your CD collection.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-12-2018, 11:42 AM

But there is so much more out there than I own. I am currently listening to george ezra all the tracks I love are spread around three albums. I can stream just the music I enjoy for the price of my amazon prime or buy the three albums for the sameish price. For me that's a no brainer as prime gives me free delivery and tv shows and films too.

I'm not arguing it's best for everyone but with 4 of us all buying listening and watching prime is fabulous value for money.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top