Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 09:52 PM

Re: Taking workplace pension at 55

I’d like to look into taking my pension early, maybe to semi retire but not sure where to begin..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I’d like to look into taking my pension early, maybe to semi retire but not sure where to begin..
Email your pension provider and ask them what the earliest age is that you can take it. You can also ask them for an illustration for taking it now (if that's possible) or taking it in say 5 years time, however check with them first to see if they would charge you for such an illustration. Some allow you 1 free illustration a year and then charge for subsequent ones.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Email your pension provider and ask them what the earliest age is that you can take it. You can also ask them for an illustration for taking it now (if that's possible) or taking it in say 5 years time, however check with them first to see if they would charge you for such an illustration. Some allow you 1 free illustration a year and then charge for subsequent ones.
Thanks, I’ll look into that
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Out of interest which part of Royal Mail did you work in?
I was a postie.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 09:32 AM

God bless our Posties - walking miles in all weathers!

I took early retirement from the NHS at 60 instead of 65. Financially it was a bit of a culture shock at first - but soon adjusted and have never regretted it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I was a postie.
So was I for a while - SW1
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I was a postie.
Originally Posted by Bruce ->
So was I for a while - SW1
I was a postie, too ..... but only a Christmas temp .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I was full time but I actually found I enjoyed it. I needed money to get back to god's own country and as an electronics/communications technician I was being offered about £35/week as a postman I started on £50.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Christmas, the best time to be a postie. Christmas Pressure, once over the ground, job and knock....I miss that.

I loved the actual job, I left because the people I had to work with/for were complete a***holes
Nicol
South east of England

23-01-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I m so sorry you lost your husband Nic, far too young (hugs) xxx
After he died (he was 51) I was left with the proceeds of the 4 pensions he'd taken out during his working life, plus the firm he worked for paid me a years basic salary tax free, a Death in Service payment.

I couldn't touch that money, if I could I would have retired years ago, so I was careful with it and tried to make it work as hard as I could without taking any risks with it. I am not averse to using the interest that money made though, my opinion is I made it work so the interest it earns is mine. I did manage to save a small amount as well.

It's that interest and savings plus the lump sums from the my own 2 pensions that are financing my retirement. The original cash is still there, still earning interest.

If there was a problem with the house, or the dog needed expensive treatment or if I needed to replace my car I would be happy to dip into the original cash but I just can't use it to finance me sitting on my arse when I'm still fit enough to work. That would feel...wrong, just wrong.

And really, given a choice, I'd give it all up and have him back like a shot

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top