Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 10:40 AM

Re: Inguinal Hernia Repair Repair Repeatedly Delayed

Good that you've got it done and out of the way. Now is the time to relax and recover.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Glad to hear you're ok Omah! Take it easy.
Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Did you know they can repair hernias with an epidural rather then a general anaesthetic? I'm going to ask about that...

GOOD LUCK!

Edit: just read you've had it done! Great news!
Originally Posted by Mags ->
It’s good to see you are back home again Omah, pleased your op went well.

Happy recovery, take things easy for a while.
Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I’m glad you’ve got it done at last, Omah and you’re back in town!
Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well done, Omah.
Glad you're home again.
Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Full report tomorrow Omah.
Good Night sleep well.
Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Good that you've got it done and out of the way. Now is the time to relax and recover.
Many Thanks, everyone .....

I slept quite well last night, waking every couple of hours but dozing off again .....

I'm not in pain (at the moment?) but the discomfort prevents sudden, rapid or excessive movement .....

The next step (sometime soon?) is the dreaded bowel movement - the nurse advised "passing without straining" .....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Many Thanks, everyone .....

I slept quite well last night, waking every couple of hours but dozing off again .....

I'm not in pain (at the moment?) but the discomfort prevents sudden, rapid or excessive movement .....

The next step (sometime soon?) is the dreaded bowel movement - the nurse advised "passing without straining" .....
Yes that must be scary
Did they give you anything to help with that?
They usually give Movicol, although I think you need about five of those sachets for it to work.
Glad you have no pain. X
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 03:04 PM

Well done, you!

Take care and go easy.

Literally .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 06:02 PM

My Surgical Experience (Part 1)

Arrived 0645
Booked in at 0715
0800 - Called to Nurse for Admin Check
0900 - Called to Surgeon for Procedure Check
0930 - Called to Anaesthetist for Procedure Check
1030 - Called to Nurse for Preparation - Strip, Dress in Gown and Stockings - Back and Bum Check
1100 - Passed to Anaesthetist and Nurse - Pre-op Procedure
1130 - Passed to Theatre - Operation
1230 - Recovery Ward (Very noisy with incessant staff idle chat)
1330 - Rest Ward - No Overnight Ward available so transported on Temporary bed to Day Surgery Ward with no overnight facilities - no TV, Radio, Food, Drink, Shower - Ward did have WC with Handbasin and was quiet
1400 - An Overnight bed was found for me, brought into the ward and I moved myself onto it
1430 - I was brought coffee and biscuits but offered no medication
1500 - The room had up to 7 patients, of whom 3, including myself, were to be kept overnight - the other 2 were still on Temporary beds - patient C1 was immobilised by an edpidural injection and had a leg in plaster after surgery, patient C2 had, apparently, been "stored" in a corridor after having his appendix removed
It soon became evident that, besides the lack of facilities, there were insufficient staff - checks on the recovering patients by nurses were sporadic and eventually non-existent
Patients C1 and C2 were given sandwiches and drinks but then left to their own devices
1700 - I was offered "Ella's" Sausage and Mash" (no alternative) from a passing food trolley - Patients C1 and C2 were offered nothing but received visitors
1800 - Only patients C1 and C2 with myself were left on a silent ward - a couple of "observations" were made by nurses but no medication, food or drinks were offered
2000 Patient C1 began to complain of urine build-up in his bladder - No-one responded to his buzzer so, being able to hobble, I went to the ward desk to ask for help - I was told that a response would be forthcoming "in a minute" - It took much longer, by which time patient C1 was in visible distress - Eventually, assistance was forthcoming but no solution was found
2200 - Night Shift arrived - Several staff and an assistant - They were immediately responsive to our needs - Observations were taken, medication provided, sandwiches and drinks were supplied - An Overnight bed was brought in for patient C2 - A "team" attended patient C1 and eventually he was, succesfully, fitted with a catheter which soon relieved his distress, releasing well over a litre of urine - While that was happening, other members of staff located and moved in an Overnight bed for him, so that by midnight, patient C1 was settled and smiling
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

11-04-2019, 06:15 PM

My Surgical Experience (Part 2)

2400 - Myself, C1 and C2 settled down to rest
0200 - Patient C1 was checked by staff and offered a hot drink because he had refused liquids while he was "bloated" - this time, he gratefully accepted
0500 - Patient C2 complained of severe pain and was immediately offered morphine relief and monitored by staff until the pain eased
0630 - Staff supplied us with hot drinks
0800 - Day Shift arrived - Immediate response to our needs - Observations, medication, refreshments, breakfast, discharge arrangements all took place in short order
0900 - I was visited by an admin representative - I asked her to pass on my thanks to the surgeon and his staff but decided not to "complain" until I had time to put my experience into perspective.
0930 - I was discharged after receiving medical advice from a nurse

In Summary

Reception and Surgery - Excellent 10/10

Recovery - Unsatisfactory 5/10 - Too much noise from chattering staff

Resting (Day) - Inadequate 3/10 - No overnight facilities, no proper beds, not enough staff, poor patient care

Resting (Night) - Much Improved 9/10 - More staff did their best to remedy the inadequacies of the day and settle us in for the night

Resting (Day) - Totally Professional 10/10

However, I was surprised that, at no time, did any doctor appear to check on the post-operative condition of patients ..... is that normal nowadays .....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:38 PM

I like the way you have posted your experience Omah.
I personally find it appalling that a Doctor never checked on the post-operative condition of patients!!!!

At least you are home now.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-04-2019, 11:40 AM

Latest:

After several strong coffees and a litre of water, a succesful bowel movement was achieved ...... no need for Ex-Lax .....

To celebrate, I removed my anti-embolism stockings, which were, surprisingly, cool and quite comfortable but which had been on my legs for 3 days .....

Next, a shower and dressing replacement before lunch and a probable doze .....

Tonight ..... a couple of beers .....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

12-04-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Latest:

After several strong coffees and a litre of water, a succesful bowel movement was achieved ...... no need for Ex-Lax .....

To celebrate, I removed my anti-embolism stockings, which were, surprisingly, cool and quite comfortable but which had been on my legs for 3 days .....

Next, a shower and dressing replacement before lunch and a probable doze .....

Tonight ..... a couple of beers .....
I do like a man in stockings.
Glad you are feeling better.
I will be having a few wines later.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-04-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I do like a man in stockings.
Glad you are feeling better.
I will be having a few wines later.
The stockings certainly gave me a fine pair of shapely lower limbs .....

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top