Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Re: All new cars to have speed limiters from 2022

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I wonder how much that would cost for a 1984 sports car with a Ford V6 2.8 engine and no electronics? Probably ten times or more what the car is actually worth!
Our wonderful government fails to foresee such hidden consequences.
Look at HS2!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 01:08 PM

According to this article the limiter thingy may not even be safe to use.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/eu...e-damage-good/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
According to this article the limiter thingy may not even be safe to use.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/eu...e-damage-good/

Assuming there is an audible bleep or a dashboard light that appears whilst all this stuff is going on, it makes me wonder if we will have time to actually drive the car without worrying about it.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Assuming there is an audible bleep or a dashboard light that appears whilst all this stuff is going on, it makes me wonder if we will have time to actually drive the car without worrying about it.
After driving an 'ordinary mechanical car' and then buying a 'computer on wheels' I really do wonder how on earth learner and novice drivers cope with all this computerisation added to driving the car.

Most of us who have been driving many years often do so as a 'habit', we are so used to driving. Learning to drive is a totally new experience, with the new technology too it must be a real nightmare to absorb all that is required, I would have thought!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 04:43 PM

After driving an 'ordinary mechanical car' and then buying a 'computer on wheels' I really do wonder how on earth learner and novice drivers cope with all this computerisation added to driving the car.

Most of us who have been driving many years often do so as a 'habit', we are so used to driving. Learning to drive is a totally new experience, with the new technology too it must be a real nightmare to absorb all that is required, I would have thought!
Nah I think the young will adapt to the new technology, they’re starting so young with computers nowadays it will come easily to them
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 05:39 PM

Predicted this a few years back, wont be long before folks are sticking masking tape over the in-dash camera.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 09:05 PM

The thing is these systems will be linked to gps, how long before they’re used for pay per mile driving?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 11:27 PM

This would be a good thing only and I mean only if it means they get rid of the dratted speed bumps
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 01:41 AM

Large trucks/buses here have 100kph speed limiters and I have driven a few in the past (not sure of the exact law off hand). The accelerator bangs at your foot if you exceed the limit (eg going downhill) but they don't seem to cause the drivers problems. The old furphy of "I need to be able to accelerate out of trouble" doesn't get mentioned much these days.

Limiters have been tampered with in the past for example by removing a magnet from the drive shaft but the authorities are wise to that and check (that might be old technology now) however I cannot see any state government being brave enough to interfere in the sacred rights of the holy car owner by attaching limiters to cars here.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 10:14 AM

And what about all this touch screen technology in cars now. We are fined for using a phone yet we can happily scroll through a menu on the dash.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top