Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 04:13 AM

When is the last time you went into Dorothy Perkins?

So Arcadia is in trouble, but I didn't even realise some of these stores still existed.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ng-high-street

I used to shop in Wallis all the time for work clothes and dresses, but about ten or fifteen years ago their styles changed and became unwearable. They used to do nice jewellery too but that became very quirky.

Many shops fail because they try to assume what people will think is trendy instead of selling what people want to wear.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 05:34 AM

Re: When is the last time you went into Dorothy Perkins?

Can't remember the last time I was in Dorothy Perkins...is he Top Shop too? I don't shop there either.

I'm not sure the high street will survive with online shopping so easy these days....there is only us old folk still insisting on traditional shopping.

I was in Debenhams yesterday with a pal it was almost empty I'm not sure they will survive much longer....sad really because I love shopping
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 06:25 AM

Dorothy Perkins? About a 100 years ago, I reckon.

There is a Top Shop near me, and once or twice over the last 15 years I think I've popped in there, and popped out again. Bought one thing once, lured in by it being in the window, and in the sale, but it was one of my rare mistakes, and it ended up a few months later in the charity bag, only having been worn once. It didn't suit me, didn't hang right, and I don't know why I bought it!

Wallis I have been into a few times over recent years, to have a look, as I used to like it in the 70s and 80s, even though it was pricy, but bought perhaps only one thing. What I have bought has been in the sales.

I tend to get most of my tops from charity shops, as I resent paying £20-40 for a scrap of thin, unlined material; I'd rather pay £5-8 for it!

Interestingly, three of my favourite tops were bought in charity shops......one was Italian, and two were from the USA. I love them because they are a bit different and quirky, and good quality.

So much British chain store fashion is dead boring, with ghastly patterns. Plus, I like colour, and the shops often go through phases of everything being dull, monochrome and bland, which puts me off going in.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 07:22 AM

DP used to be Ok and especially for young people but I suspect they all go to Primark now .

I do agree about colour Pyxell
M & S still don't understand that grey is not the new black and drains colour form most people .

And then the ghastly patterns .
I like block colours but it seems I hardly ever buy anything other than white t shirts these days .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 07:27 AM

There is something very Old School about the name "Dorothy", maybe that is the problem.
Apologies to any Dots out there.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 07:30 AM

We have a DP here , many moons ago i loved shopping there but recently i went in and the fashion looked awful,. There seems to be a comeback of crimpoline type dresses from the 70s .

Our Debenhams is mostly empty , its our biggest store and i think it will close .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 07:52 AM

Never. Nor Wallis, nor Debenhams, John Lewis, M&S, Top Shop, TK Maxx.

I've never stepped foot in any of these names, as I usually prefer the likes of Bon Marche for my clothes. Or I used to go into C&A before they closed down. If BM disappears from the High Street then I'll be in trouble.

However I have been known to browse in Primark...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Dorothy Perkins - used to shop there all the time when I was 18. They had a good range of pretty underwear, smart skirts/blouses etc., for work, and lovely casual stuff. These days it is all cheap tat.

Debenham's - has always seemed old fashioned. We have two quite large branches - not sure how long they will survive. There is hardly anyone in there even at week ends.

M & S - used to sell reasonable quality, cheap, every day type clothes. Now it is all poor quality tat at silly prices.

Primark - part of the 'wear it today, throw it out tomorrow' culture that teens seem to favour - and is cheap enough for them to do that.

Charity Shops - good place to find bargains! I have bought broken jewellery items and used them to make other things - bought clothes not just to wear but for the fabrics, and they are, of course, an excellent source for books and DVDs.

I can remember a time when High Street shops had 'window dressers' who took a pride in creating displays that enticed the customers to come in. Now it is all done from preordained charts - no individuality, no flair.

Also - I may have mentioned this before - at one time if you wanted to buy something and it was out of stock or they did not have your size - they would order it for you. Now the usual answer is 'There may be some on our next delivery'. Not good enough if you want to keep your customers.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 08:06 AM

At least it's better than if it's not there we do t have it in a couldn't care less tone .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by muddy ->
at least it's better than if it's not there we do t have it in a couldn't care less tone .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top