Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 11:08 AM

Re: Sense of humour?

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I love to laugh and I think I have a good, if somewhat bent, sense of humour and irony. I think one of the saddest things that can ever happen to a person is that they lose their S.O.H. Even worse that they have never had one. Ironically, a sense of humour helps you cope with the less funny aspects of life. Best of all if you can laugh at yourself, laugh with others rather than at them and not take yourself too seriously, people will like you more I reckon. Just my opinion. The people who have made me laugh more than anyone else are Basil Fawlty, Barry Humphries, Bill Bailey, Paul Hogan, Billy Connolly, Victor Borge and the adorable Joyce Grenfell. Many others also. Too many to count.
Youve got it right KZ, Humour has helped me quite often
when l am in an awkward situation or am suffering a bit!
especially when l was in the army, we always turned any
misfotune into a joke, usually at the expense of our so
called superiors?
I also believe if you TTP you must be prepared to haveTP
taken out of you?

Regards Donkeyman!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 11:22 AM

This thread poses many question on the relationship between humour and comedy.

Do you need a good sense of humour to be a good comedian?
Do you need a good sense to like/understand comedians?
Are comedians happy people? Some have been known to suffer depression, even committed suicide.
Is humour in the DNA or nurtured.
etc.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Are comedians happy people? Some have been known to suffer depression, even committed suicide.
Is humour in the DNA or nurtured.
etc.
Tony Hancock for example.

You have raised an interesting point there, d00d.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My Dad was the funniest person I've ever known. Probably just crazy but really funny.

I don't understand why people laugh at clowns, they're sinister, so are ventriloquists dummies, not funny at all.

Has anyone else got a "go to" film that always makes them laugh and cheers them up?
I put, "The Burbs", "The Money Pit" or "Pink Panther" movies on, Jim Carey films too are daft.
Thanks to Lion Queen I have just added one - Aladdin! Can't wait for the DVD to come out - Will Smith as the big blue genie is just brilliant.

Prior to that - this always makes me laugh:-

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 11:49 AM

Humour always involves pain of one sort of another. Maybe self depreciation, maybe a third party, but always pain.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 11:59 AM

Classics that used to make me laugh, such as Only Fools, Faulty Towers, Love Thy Neighbour and Steptoe & Son, wouldn't get a look in on the BBC today.

My favourite comedian, Dave Allen, certainly would have ended up on the cutting room floor. Here with one of his sketches.....

[IMG]
[/IMG]
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 12:07 PM

And one more!

[IHHMG]
[/IMG]

Harmless but guaranteed to bring a smile at the least.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Classics that used to make me laugh, such as Only Fools, Faulty Towers, Love Thy Neighbour and Steptoe & Son, wouldn't get a look in on the BBC today.

My favourite comedian, Dave Allen, certainly would have ended up on the cutting room floor. Here with one of his sketches.....

[IMG]
[/IMG]
I have had many a laugh at those shows mentioned and my husband and I thought Dave Allen was hilarious
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 12:58 PM

I was watching the Morecambe & Wise documentary last night. Eric was a genius. Still very funny. I never used to appreciate them but they were my dad's favourite so we always used to watch their shows.

It doesn't come across here but I have a good sense of humour in real life and quite often come out with something that makes everyone laugh. Not as sparky as I used to be but can still happen.

It can definitely be used as a way to communicate antipathy but in a nice way. So if you don't like something you can get your point across without offending the other party by injecting some humour.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 12:59 PM

Humour is what makes the world go round. We all have our own 'favorites' I was much into the old wireless shows. The Navy Lark, Much Binding The Goon Show. Comedians like Rob Wilton, Norman Evans, Mabel Constant durus (Mrs Feather) TV shows like Till Death do us part, Love thy Neighbour etc: I find today,s comedians as about as funny as watching paint dry though there has been some. Miranda, Dads Army, Open all Hours. It 'aint arf 'ot Mum Etc;
Humour is a far better medicine than all these pills and potions.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top