Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 06:08 PM

Re: Smoking in cars.

There are more carcinogenic toxins in the exhausts from motor vehicles, and I'm afraid I don't believe in passive smoking.

If banning smoking in cars becomes law, then I shall for the first time in my life, do something illegal. There is no law in this land that will stop me from smoking in MY car which I have bought and paid for.

I do no harm to anyone else as I seldom have a passenger and when smoking, I have the driver's window wide open, even in the coldest weather.

The argument about smoking whilst driving being a distraction is absolute poppycock. Yes, you do have to take one hand off the wheel, but you have to do that when changing gear as well, unless of course the Government agrees to supply us all with automatics.

Doglover is absolutely right in that our generation would all be long dead through inhaling all that "nasty" passive smoke for the last 40+ years.

What's next I wonder? Are they going to ban obese people from fast-food outlets?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Absolutely ridiculous notion, whatever next will they try to ban whilst driving, no drinking, no doing the crossword or even no putting on a bit of lippy?
Damned cheek of it...
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 08:53 PM

I cant see how they will enforce it, they cannot enforce the mobile phone usage. I still see a huge amount of people on their phones.. so for me its a waste of time.
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 08:58 PM

Why anyone needs to smoke anyway ,it`s a disgusting habit .Thank goodness it`s banned in public places .
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 09:03 PM

I did read in our local weekly paper that a woman was prosecuted for putting her make-up on whilst driving Barry. Apparently she was unaware that the police had been following her and they did her for driving without due care and attention, I think it was. I wondered how she could have missed them if she was using her rear view mirror to put her make-up on

I'm not a smoker, but I agree with Jemflux and everyone else, that it is going too far to stop people smoking in their cars. Your car is like being in your own house and on your own property. I don't think they will be able to enforce it.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 09:34 PM

Well I stopped smoking in 2001 but still disagree with the way it is being outlawed and like other members have stated, if you pay for your car then it should be up to you whether or not you smoke in it. I am not one of these reformed smokers ready to look down on folks who smoke, that is their choice, live and let live say I.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 11:17 PM

Was thinking exactly the same as Wonda, how are they going to police it??? I'm a smoker, but rarely smoke in the car and don't smoke in the house-they'll be banning smoking in your own garden next!
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2011, 12:05 AM

It cant be because you have to take a hand off the wheel or else all the men who drive with one finger stuck up their nose should be fined too.
mai
South Wales
mai is female 

17-11-2011, 12:09 AM

They can't police mobile phone users now so how are smokers going to be any different? What I can't understand is if smoking is so bad why is it on sale at all, why is'nt it banned altogether like other drugs, I think we all know why don't we It's so hypercritical.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2011, 12:14 AM

Like I said earlier, unless we're all going to be treated to cars with automatic transmission, eliminated taking a hand off the wheel to change gear, it can't be policed.

In any event, can you just imagine how embarrassed the police would be stopping somebody from smoking in their own private vehicles? The costs involved would be prohibitive.

Eating, drinking or using a mobile phone whilst driving is, at the very least, stupid, and of course any woman using her rear-view mirror to apply or adjust her make-up, all should be dealt with, with hefty fines.

Someone caught using a mobile phone at the wheel is fined £60. Ridiculous. It probably costs more than that in police and admin time to bring about the fine, log it and whatever else they have to do. Any of the above that I've mentioned there should be a minimum fine of £500 for the first offence.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top