Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 04:16 PM

Euros or pounds?

In the current climate, I wonder which is better to have. The Eurozone seems rather fragile, and the euro has fallen in value in the past year. But I'm not sure the pound is much better, just that the UK is better at bluffing and putting on a brave face than some other countries.

Would anyone transfer pounds to euros in the current situation, if they lived in the eurozone?
romfty
spain
romfty is male 

28-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Re: Euros or pounds?

I live in the euro zone most of the time and transfer funds when I have/need them, there is one financial site that lets you choose your own rate of exchange! Of course there are snags............
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

29-03-2012, 04:21 PM

As the euro seems very dodgy it is better to stick with the pound sterling.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2012, 11:41 AM

I live in the euro zone all the time and when I need to transfer money from UK I use a UK company which has branches here, so much easier than using the UK/Spanish branches of our bank, which to be honest have become a nightmare. I have no problems with this company, everything is done efficiently and easily and I get 3 cents more to the pound than any bank gives.

I know many of the Spanish people would like their pesetas back but since when did ANY government ever take heed of what the people actually want?
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 06:37 PM

Who's decision was it for the UK not to join the Euro? Thatcher, Major, Blair? At the time I remember thinking it was insanity to not join in with the other EU countries but in retrospect it was a brilliant move. I pity poor Germany having to bear the brunt of Greece's and other smaller economy's poor management.

I could be wrong but this is how it appears to the casual and admittedly uneducated observer in Canada.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 06:41 PM

I hear in the news today that Spain may need a bail out package too.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 08:37 PM

I'm not so sure the Euro is a write off, some big and powerful Countries are deeply involved (Germany and France) in it's future and I think something is on the cards behind closed doors for a big comeback. I know I'm being optimistic, but when Germany was reunited after the collapse of the wall, everyone was saying it would be the downfall of West Germany economically, it didn't happen. These two Countries are the key players in all this and whatever they come up with goes. Every Country is in trouble at the moment, thanks to the once respected banks, and only when the people begin to trust them again will we see a change for the better. I suppose only time will tell, in the meantime I'm hanging on to the few Euro's I have under the mattress.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2012, 06:41 AM

The world's greatest treasurer, Paul Keating, once said that the Euro should be restricted to Germany, France and the UK. He was, as usual, absolutely right. If the Euro had been used only by countries who obeyed the rules set for its use then the Euro zone would not be in the state it is in now with both the pound and the Euro plummeting.

For those outside Europe the Euro is brilliant; one currency to use anywhere in Europe, how good is that? As it was I had to have Sterling, Euros and Kroner when I visited Europe last year, all members of the EU all with different currencies, so annoying.

I still have a few hundred pounds left because the currency has plunged against the Aussie dollar so I am hanging on until either the situation is reversed or I visit Britain again. Bloody monopoly money!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top