Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 02:53 PM

Fake pound coins

I heard on the radio the other day that half of the £1 coins are fake and if somethings not soon done about it the royal mint won't be making them anymore. Apparently these coins are very easy to make by unscrupulous people.

There is a way of telling if they are legal or not, you have to turn it on it's side and I can't remember what else you do, sorry.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Re: Fake pound coins

I just had to look this up to see how to spot one........this is the page I read.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7628930.stm
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 06:27 PM

As far as I understand there are around 3% of fake £1 coins in circulation, and if it gets to more than 4% then the Bank of England would have to issue new coins...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 06:56 PM

Hi Ali I heard about this before.
I don't use much cash these days, everything goes on my card to be paid off once a month. I find this so much easier than carrying lots of cash around.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Sometime I find car parking machines will not accept a £1 coin that I put in........ I wonder if someone has given me a dud in change!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 11:29 PM

I never carry cash these days, except for a few coins, relying on my Direct Debit card, but I do keep a £1 in my car for the trolleys at supermarkets. It is a bit disconcerting though to hear about this.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 03:29 PM

That link was very interesting Janelia, thanks for that , I only heard the bit when they said you turn it on it's side.

I remember they said if you receive one you're not supposed to use it.

I heard it on LBC radio, I've started listening to that so I'll probably come up with quite a few things I hear.
Alicat
West Berkshire

08-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
As far as I understand there are around 3% of fake £1 coins in circulation, and if it gets to more than 4% then the Bank of England would have to issue new coins...
It said that the Bank of England will stop making them if it continues which will be a shame as I do like the pound coins, they're nice and chunky, it's the two pound coins I'm not so keen on.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 03:34 PM

Not heard about this before. I know quite often I get a pound coin that the parking machine won't accept. I'll look closer at those in future.
Terencefw.GC1
walsall. uk
Terencefw.GC1 is male  Terencefw.GC1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 05:21 PM

I think, now I'm not sure, but I heard that if you hold a genuine pound coin in your fingers and turn it flipside the image still remains upward facing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top