Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Re: 'Our' Parliamentarians

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
That is not strictly true Joe, there are loads of people who buy from Car boots sales and the like who avoid paying VAT on the products. Please do not say that they are second hand products when we all know the majority of the stuff is knock-off.
I presume you can of course prove that Bob, otherwise your remark is libellous and anyone involved in car-boot sales could now sue you and obtain substantial damages from you.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Firstly Barry, I agree with Mick, we don't need corporate Capitalists - we can do very nicely without them and if investment is needed the 'State' can provide that so that we have a 'Nationalised' company. As for Tax, 'we' never got an opportunity to avoid tax as companies deduct it at source before handing us the balance. Perhaps there ought to be a way of doing something similar for the super-rich and that would mean they pay the full amount of tax they owe.
You're missing something here Joe, that is the fact that the State does not have any money to invest without it first being earned by people working for capitalists. Take out that link in the chain and you end up with your "Utopian" societies like Russia and Cuba, which is OK if that's the kind of society you want to live in, but do you really..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
You're missing something here Joe, that is the fact that the State does not have any money to invest without it first being earned by people working for capitalists. Take out that link in the chain and you end up with your "Utopian" societies like Russia and Cuba, which is OK if that's the kind of society you want to live in, but do you really..
Can't be any worse than we've already got, when the greedy elite, having made a huge bassett of our economy are then rewarded with even more excessive bonuses, which are then exported into tax havens.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 06:26 PM

Wow I have just got back from holiday and find this thread has moved forward quite a way.
A few points I would like to make, all people who own and set up big businesses are not all capitalist's.

Somebody said it was capitalists that paid the countries way, not true, it is the tax payers, most capitalists avoid tax wherever possible.

What has the monarchy ever do for me, they robbed me of my father, my home, and gave my mother absolutely nothing at the age of 28 when she was left with a child and no home and no pension.
this is what she got from the government, a scroll with a photocopied signature from the king.
So that is why I am not a royalist.

Yes we do need another Oliver Cromwell, a great man who showed the nation that they don't have to put up with things as they are we can change them if we wish.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 07:10 PM

Can't be any worse than we've already got, when the greedy elite, having made a huge bassett of our economy are then rewarded with even more excessive bonuses, which are then exported into tax havens.
For a man of the world I cannot imagine you actually believe that first statement..

But yes I agree that the elite get away with too much for doing too little and it needs to be curtailed as far as possible, but greed is a human trait and spread evenly across the political divide....as you know full well even in an equal society, some are always going to be more equal than others....

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Wow I have just got back from holiday and find this thread has moved forward quite a way.
A few points I would like to make, all people who own and set up big businesses are not all capitalist's.

Somebody said it was capitalists that paid the countries way, not true, it is the tax payers, most capitalists avoid tax wherever possible.

What has the monarchy ever do for me, they robbed me of my father, my home, and gave my mother absolutely nothing at the age of 28 when she was left with a child and no home and no pension.
this is what she got from the government, a scroll with a photocopied signature from the king.
So that is why I am not a royalist.

Yes we do need another Oliver Cromwell, a great man who showed the nation that they don't have to put up with things as they are we can change them if we wish.
I'm afraid you're wrong Arthur, because we desperately need the capitalists, that set up the businesses, that allow the workers to earn a wage, and pay the taxes that go pay the benefits and the country's other bills.

Without the capitalist entrepreneurs, who sometimes risk everything they own and have worked for to take the chance of setting up a new business, that produces goods and provides employment, there would have been no industrial revolution, no work and no welfare state for anyone.

Whilst I agree some are better than others, I say thank goodness for the capitalists and the wealth creators, were it not for such people we'd all still be living in servitude to the Lord of the Manor ...
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 07:08 AM

Joe, Joe, Joe, your are so wrong again as usual.

It was not the elite who caused our financial problems, it was Nu-Labour who sold of our Gold reserves, for peanuts, which were there to see us through any crisis that arose plus their stupid 'Borrow until you drop' attitude that got us into this mess. OK the banks did not help but had it not been for the lack of assets and the very large debt thet this country had we could have weathered the storm easily.

Capitalism is all about money and we all want that, well you need some to live, so in reality are'nt we all capitalists at heart?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Bob said : ---'Borrow until you drop' attitude that got us into this mess.

Strange isn't it then Bob, when this government has borrowed even more than NuLabour.
I know the last government didn't do anything to help the situation, but this one is worse.
We were beginning to get on to a stable slow growth when this government took over, now look at us right in the SH one T. and getting deeper.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
as you know full well even in an equal society, some are always going to be more equal than others....
Speaking as someone who has visited a communist country two or three times a year from 1970 to 1992 I can confirm that greed and corruption were far more prevalent in that so called 'equal' society than anywhere in the Western world.

It's no use living in a 'dream world' and thinking that the deep embeded greed and devious behaviour of humans will somehow not apply in a new system. It doesn't matter what 'system' you have, it will always be there, how else do you think that these creatures called humans became the dominant species on the planet
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2012, 01:27 AM

As this whole argument is based on a a pack of lies in the first place. I would have thought that the first thing the UK needed was to become a democracy by getting rid of the House of Lords and replacing it with an elected upper house.

You can hardly complain about feudal middle eastern systems of government when your own is a left over from medieval times and based on the right of the aristocracy to oversee the lower orders.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Bob said : ---'Borrow until you drop' attitude that got us into this mess.

Strange isn't it then Bob, when this government has borrowed even more than NuLabour.
I know the last government didn't do anything to help the situation, but this one is worse.
We were beginning to get on to a stable slow growth when this government took over, now look at us right in the SH one T. and getting deeper.

Arthur, I think you will find that Labour borrowed £152,706mill. in their last year in office and the most this government have borrowed is £145,998mill, but, this government is paying less in interest rates than Nu-Labour did.
That is one reason why the IMF are almost in agreement with Osborne's plans.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top