Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 03:16 PM

Are central/remote locking systems on cars reliable?

My house and drive are open at the front with access to the lane so I always lock my car when I leave it.
When I take Chloe out for her late walk I always try the car handle to check the car is locked.

This morning when walking past the car with Chloe I heard the car lock activate and trying the handle I found the car was unlocked

In my pocket I had a metal torch and Chloe has a collar with a metal disk around her neck, could they have activated the lock?

Can anyone give an explanation?
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

09-07-2012, 04:11 PM

Re: Are central/remote locking systems on cars reliable?

I think it more likely that your remote key fob transmitter was activated by something pressing on it in your pocket.
Odd I know but it does happen.

To put it very simply, in order to open your door, your key fob sends an infrared signal to a local sensor which in turn tells the central locking control unit via a relay to open or lock the door.
These signals are coded so that they will only work at a certain frequency and this is unique to your vehicle.They will not work by any interference from metal.

Of course it could be that your dog wanted to ride instead of a walk ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
I think it more likely that your remote key fob transmitter was activated by something pressing on it in your pocket.
Odd I know but it does happen.

To put it very simply, in order to open your door, your key fob sends an infrared signal to a local sensor which in turn tells the central locking control unit via a relay to open or lock the door.
These signals are coded so that they will only work at a certain frequency and this is unique to your vehicle.They will not work by any interference from metal.

Of course it could be that your dog wanted to ride instead of a walk ?
Hammer I didn't have my keys with me, they were on a shelf in the house and there was no one else in the house.

Could it be one of my neighbours activated a device of some kind which sent a signal?

This dog does not like the car, she rarely goes in it
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

09-07-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hammer I didn't have my keys with me, they were on a shelf in the house and there was no one else in the house.

Could it be one of my neighbours activated a device of some kind which sent a signal?

This dog does not like the car, she rarely goes in it
I have heard stories of one of those generic TV remote's using the same frequency do this but I have never seen or done it personally.
Certainly odd, out of curiosity I would really like to know what caused it.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 04:34 PM

Only your keys will open your car Joe says.Go to the Garage and see what they say.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 04:37 PM

How odd Meg. I was thinking the same as George, that the keys in your pocket were accidentally pressed by something.
Hope you get to the bottom of it.
Our tv remote sometimes interferes with remote lighting we have. But a car locking system is far more sophisticated and secure.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-07-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
I have heard stories of one of those generic TV remote's using the same frequency do this but I have never seen or done it personally.
Certainly odd, out of curiosity I would really like to know what caused it.
Hammer now you have explained to me how the device works I am wondering if it may be something to do with my neighbour's son who judging from the closed curtains was in bed at the time with his girlfriend and may have been watching breakfast TV I can't really ask them . His bedroom/window is only a few feet from my car.
When I am chatting with his Mum I may get the opportunity to enquire further.

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Only your keys will open your car Joe says.Go to the Garage and see what they say.
Annie I can't really do that, my son bought the car for me as a gift and it is not from a local garage.

Originally Posted by Janela ->
How odd Meg. I was thinking the same as George, that the keys in your pocket were accidentally pressed by something.
Hope you get to the bottom of it.
Our tv remote sometimes interferes with remote lighting we have. But a car locking system is far more sophisticated and secure.
Janela I am not really technically minded and it is all a bit of a mystery to me
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 07:20 PM

The key fob works off radio waves, if someone sends the same radio wave as yours close to your car, it will unlock the doors.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-07-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
The key fob works off radio waves, if someone sends the same radio wave as yours close to your car, it will unlock the doors.
Is that so Jimmy I guess it was down to my neighbour's son and his remote control then . Not a good advertisement for car security is it
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 12:03 AM

I don't have remote locking to my car, meaning I have to use my key to lock/unlock, however it does have central locking - or used to!

If my car goes in for MoT or whatever these days, I have to remind the mechanic not to leave my keys in the ignition then close the door, as it does occasionally lock itself, which can be a pain sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top