Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 04:17 PM

Re: Vitamin Supplements

Both broccoli and spinach give me headache and I don’t eat chips
So how much D are we members taking in a supplement ?
Preferences ?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Preferences ?
I use a mouth spray. One scoosh under the tongue in the morning, and that's it. Plenty of Vit D in mushrroms too, if you can eat them.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 07:16 PM

Preferences ?
I take the one a day tablet - ooop here in the North, sunshine is weak or limited and so the extra supplement is used.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 08:42 PM

Judd there’s one a day and one a day . 400 iu ranging up to and above 4,000
Historically, 400 IU (10 ug) of vitamin D was recommended for better health because it closely approximated the amount of vitamin D in a teaspoonful of cod liver oil. However, 800 to 1,000 IU is the dose that may have a better chance of giving a patient a normal vitamin D level.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2021, 10:07 PM

Preferences ?
It was mainly the vitamin K that was the reason why I posted the natural sources found in Broccoli and spinach Zuleika, however, I believe the same as Judd, Yorkshire is not noted for its long sunny days, especially in winter. So in the winter months I take 1000 ug of vit D and go out in my shorts as often as I can. I still think sunshine is the very best source.
annju_13
USA
annju_13 is female 

28-03-2021, 12:52 AM

I use to take vitamins in the form of chewable. I think they were Vitamins C and E. After some time they were making my mouth dry. So now I just include those vitamins in my diet.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 11:34 AM

What a performance taking a small sample of blood at home
My legs and back are a problem again, 'the battery runs out' and they don't work by early afternoon an indication my Vit D levels are very low in spite of taking a daily dose on prescription.

I really need a blood test before increasing the dose but there will be a 6 weeks wait for results if I go to the GP so I decided to buy a home test kit.
I thought being on anticoagulants taking blood at home would be a doddle, a pick prick yes a tube full is not so simple
I did all the 'glass of water warm hands standing up ' things but still had a problem precuring the right amount of red liquid in a tube with a tiny opening and not everywhere else.
After an hour the deed is done and posted off.
I look forward to the results with interest.

I have already started taking a loaded dose of VD3, the prescribed dose of 800iu is not enough at the end of a sunless winter for an almost vegetarian.

Some interesting research on Vitamin D deficiency in a recent study from Ireland looking for the C19 connection analysed clearly by Dr John Campbell...

Zuleika
North West UK

13-04-2021, 02:06 PM

Meg ,if you go into YouTube and watch that particular doctor doing the same test as yourself ,you’ll find his results which pretty well shocked him .
You might be thinking it’s a deficiency of Vit D causing your back and legs pains when it could be disc degeneration trapping nerves .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:27 PM

What a very informative vid Meg, hats off to the Irish government for highlighting the benefit of Vitamin D.
Dr Campbell made the comment about putting economics before peoples health, and it's something that I agree with also. Did you notice the long pause he gave after making that statement?

I came to a similar conclusion about Vitamin D and mortality looking at the mortality rate in Australia. I know they have have been efficient and quick to respond to the outbreak, and have a superb test and trace system. However, the comparison between infections and mortality is far lower than European countries and I believe it's the exposure to sunlight and the Vitamin D is partly responsible. And if there was any doubt about the exposure to sunlight, you only have to look at the rate of skin cancer in Australia, one of the highest in the world. It would suggest that sunshine does have an upside, as well as a downside..

People would be quick to point out that the climate in Spain, Italy or Brazil have better climates that the UK, but there are other factors that must be considered with those countries.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2021, 03:58 PM

I take 1000 IU or 25mcg daily on my doctors instructions & they make a huge difference to my health.

I have had cancer....which has shown no sign of returning.

I used to have frequent chest infections, but hardly ever since I have taken Vit D.

I have had no signs of Covid & my nails ( which had ridges from the tip to the cuticle)do not split so easily.
I also find that my muscles are less painful & feel much more able to cope.

As far as I am concerned the Irish report, in Megs link, is correct & I would suggest that everybody in the UK should take Vit D supplements. All my doctors do & they say that everybody needs them, especially in the winter!

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top