Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 09:42 AM

Summer holidays schools

Should schools have a summer holiday this year ?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 09:45 AM

Re: Summer holidays schools

I think the teachers would appreciate some slack, yes! I'm not sure if the whole 6 or 8 weeks should be used though.....kids have lost enough time learning. It depends how things are generally, really.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Should schools have a summer holiday this year ?
I believe schools should not be open until probably well after the start of the next school year. It is much too soon. There is nothing more certain that this awful pandemic will be in full spate for a considerable time.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I think the teachers would appreciate some slack, yes! I'm not sure if the whole 6 or 8 weeks should be used though.....kids have lost enough time learning. It depends how things are generally, really.
I'm with Pixie on this. I think a 4 week holiday will be more than enough holiday for all concerned this year. However, you do have to take into account any major maintenance that's required. I know the school across the road from where I used to live used the summer break to embark on major renovation schemes that took 4-6 weeks to complete.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 05:04 PM

The teachers I know are exhausted dealing with planning and adapting to being at school, being away from school, being part time at school, being back in school full time....frustrated parents, administration moving the goal posts every other day, technology issues, special education issues, dealing concerns about the physical and well-being of their students, threats of layoffs and...

concerns that their students aren't learning.

Offer a summer term for teachers who want to teach and kids who need remediation, but otherwise give those teachers a break - and a raise.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I'm with Pixie on this. I think a 4 week holiday will be more than enough holiday for all concerned this year. However, you do have to take into account any major maintenance that's required. I know the school across the road from where I used to live used the summer break to embark on major renovation schemes that took 4-6 weeks to complete.
I would be pleasantly surprised indeed if the teachers' unions would agree to any reduction in holiday entitlement for their members,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 11:13 PM

If the schools go back in March it seems pointless breaking up again after 3 weeks for Easter, Easter should be cancelled then 2 weeks holiday only in the summer.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
If the schools go back in March it seems pointless breaking up again after 3 weeks for Easter, Easter should be cancelled then 2 weeks holiday only in the summer.
I disagree. Children (and indeed teachers) need a prolonged break every so often. The teachers I have contact with are more knackered than normal through implementing online lessons as well as many of them being involved in classroom teaching for those children who do physically attend.

Also, the students who I privately tutor online (albeit year 13 and a couple of iGCSE ones who will be sitting their exams since they (the Edexcel ones) will be taking place as normal) are working very hard. Not all kids are having a cushy little number at home, and "have" to attend zoom lessons each day (some even being required to turn up in uniform (well, at least waist up)).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top