Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 08:50 AM

Re: Politically correct acting

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Golliwogs are banned - racist associations!

BUT

Gollidolls are not! On sale here - I have a keyfob gollidoll!
Oh...so if we call them Gollidolls, its ok? I have two Gollidolls and a keyring one (that I don't put on my keys). Interesting....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 08:51 AM

I think if you are playing a fictional character then it doesn't matter, but if you are trying to portray a real person whether modern or historical, then there has to be some level of similarity, both in looks and in mannerism.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh...so if we call them Gollidolls, its ok? I have two Gollidolls and a keyring one (that I don't put on my keys). Interesting....
Presumably selling gollidolls isn't illegal or racist!!

The Law is an Ass!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I think if you are playing a fictional character then it doesn't matter, but if you are trying to portray a real person whether modern or historical, then there has to be some level of similarity, both in looks and in mannerism.

Ditto, in the Bond films Miss MoneyPenny has been played by coloured actress, yet objections to a coloured actor playing James Bond.

Yaphet Kotto, who starred as Dr Kananga alongside Roger Moore's 007 in 1973 hit Live and Let Die, insisted in a recent interview that the films should follow the “literally correct” in the original novels. “ [Bond] cannot be black,” he told Big Issue . “James Bond was established by Ian Fleming as a white character, played by white actors.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 10:28 AM

Bridgeton on Netflix is another one. High society Regency London, I thought it looked quite promising until I found some of the cast, including Queen Charlotte and the more prominent Lady Danbury, are black.

The character are so ill-fitting, I can't concentrate. This is costume drama, not Sci-Fi or Pantomime.

The series is was a wasted opportunity.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I saw this story in the paper a few days ago but couldn't bring myself to start a thread on it. It is just too ridiculous. Colour Blind casting they call it (yes, unfortunately it has a title, so bandwagoneeers take note).

As for David Jason playing Nelson Mandela..... there would be uproar.

Well LD, he did live in the right place !!

Nelson Mandela House is the name of a high-rise tower block, where Del Boy rents one of the council flats. It serves as the show's primary setting.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I'm offended that Henry VIII hasn't been played by a woman with his wives portrayed by men.

OFFENDED!

I won't feel validated as a woman until some woke producer gets on with correcting this injustice.

Now, excuse me while I go get a protest rounded up and finish crying.

We've sure come a long way from the days when a man and woman couldn't be seen feet-off-the-floor in the same bed.

Now everyone's delicate.

Yes. The woke generation should be nothing more than some silly entertainment.

I suppose that the real fault lies with sensible adults who bother to take any notice of the snowflakes, and that must include our authorities: councils, government, etc.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Bridgeton on Netflix is another one. High society Regency London, I thought it looked quite promising until I found some of the cast, including Queen Charlotte and the more prominent Lady Danbury, are black.

The character are so ill-fitting, I can't concentrate. This is costume drama, not Sci-Fi or Pantomime.

The series is was a wasted opportunity.

We were taught in history lessons that Queen Charlotte was black, albeit lighter skinned.
This was many years ago so nothing to do with PC.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
What I don't get is why Golliwogs are banned in shops now? How can anyone look at a Golliwog and think it remotely resembles a black person?
Because snowflakes are so easily upset by the slightest possible thing. Any excuse and they'll jump up and down in offence.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
We were taught in history lessons that Queen Charlotte was black, albeit lighter skinned.
This was many years ago so nothing to do with PC.
Yes I know there's a theory that The Queen Charlotte may have had some black blood in her. But Golda Rosheuvel, who plays her, is not the only black actor playing upper class in Bridgeton, and not the blackest.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top