Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 02:23 PM

Orb-weaver spider

I found this visitor in my cycad. They usually appear in the beginning of autumn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA7A9A19-0067-4250-B971-23174A8254FA.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	14852

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 03:56 PM

Re: Orb-weaver spider

How beautiful - I love spiders!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 04:21 PM

How unusual!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 06:18 PM

Its a lovely pic, but glad its with you and not over here. Not a fan of spiders. At.All.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Its a lovely pic, but glad its with you and not over here. Not a fan of spiders. At.All.
I’m terrified of spiders but we had a good chat. She seems nice. Apparently she’s a web designer.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
I’m terrified of spiders but we had a good chat. She seems nice. Apparently she’s a web designer.
Love it!!
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 07:52 PM

Me too Pixie.....I have a spider spray, I spray every corner of my house to keep them away...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I agree.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

28-02-2021, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
Me too Pixie.....I have a spider spray, I spray every corner of my house to keep them away...
I should get myself some, Paula....I give myself the heebie jeebies by imagining they are trying to find a cosy corner to lay their hundreds of tiny scuttling babies....eeewww!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

01-03-2021, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree.
Although it is frightening to look at, this spider is non-aggressive and relatively harmless. It can deliver a painful bite if severely provoked, but the venom is not lethal, generally only causing redness and blistering.

A female orb spider can have an abdomen of up to 30mm long. She dwarfs the tiny 5mm male in both size and weight. In almost all nephila species the male is in danger of being devoured by the female after mating. To avoid being cannibalised, the male will approach the female when she is already feeding, or present her with a parcel of food to eat. Whilst the female is distracted, the male will fertilize her and then retreat to a safe distance.

The silk of this species is incredibly strong. It can even trap small birds. There is a theory that if were possible to weave a line of the silk to a thickness of a small pencil, it would be able to withstand and repel a 747 jumbo jet at maximum speed. In some tribal communities, the web silk is used to make fishing lures and traps. Fishermen on the islands of the Indo-Pacific roll the nets into a ball and throw them into the water. The ball unrolls and is then used as a net to catch bait fish. Efforts to use the silk commercially to manufacture cloth have failed; however, there has been some promising research on the silk in the field of tissue engineering for medical use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top