Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 09:07 PM

Re: Kitchen things you didn't realise you were doing wrong

Most can openers have a ring pull these days don't they?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm sure I researched the tin foil conundrum once before and the answer was that it didn't matter either way.
Yes I agree with you, I did the same. I came across the same link Omah provides upthread, which explains perfectly clearly that the only reason it has a shiny and a dull side is because of the manufacturing process. No other reason at all.

That's good enough for me, but I know an awful lot of people swear that either one side or the other is the one you have to use - you know, because it reflects the heat, because it's non stick, all sorts of reasons. But it actually doesn't matter which side you use
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 09:32 PM

I'm still trying to get the hang of one of these.

Chopping board and knife does just about everything in the kitchen. And I love my blue white striped butchers apron too.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 10:23 PM

Many years ago, l heard or read that you should have the non shiny side out especially when cooking a turkey, as the shiny side would reflect the heat off the turkey.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Most can openers have a ring pull these days don't they?
Unfortunately not all. Also sometimes the ring pull bit comes off.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Many years ago, l heard or read that you should have the non shiny side out especially when cooking a turkey, as the shiny side would reflect the heat off the turkey.
That was my theory that if you use the shiny side the meat is cooked through more.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-03-2021, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm still trying to get the hang of one of these.

I seem to recall that these give you such a good workout you break into a sweat which is why you also need the bottle opener for having a nice cold beer.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-03-2021, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Ah I'm with you now! Thing is, I don't have one of those sort of can openers - mine is one that, allegedly, can be used single handedly. Yes, if you've got non arthritic hands, but I have to hold it with both hands. You have to grip the handles and use a scissor action with them which propels the rotary cutter around the can.
Yes I read you had problems with your thumbs on the arthritis thread. I had a similar problem with my thumbs for the last couple of years and it got very bad in the Autumn but it seems to have settled a bit recently. I've been taking cod liver oil and vit D so maybe it helped. It was very painful for quite a while and I can fully understand how you might find it hard to grip something like a can opener. Everything becomes a real struggle because we use our thumbs for so much. The worse thing was using the mobile. All that swiping is done with the thumb.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 05:27 AM

Hi

Our Foodies, that is the Food Hygiene EHO's inspect many restaurants, not just the bad ones, but the good ones.

They come back with many tips which they share round the office.

They also do Health and Safety, so know how to cut things.

Not a job I would enjoy, so boring, but they do learn a lot.

I make much better stocks now and freeze them.

I also waste a lot less.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 10:59 AM

Daft, I just pull the ring, messing about with a can opener is just a waste of time or you have the can upside down.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top