Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 03:34 PM

Politically correct acting

I would like to ask what others think about this young black lady actress playing the part of Anne Boleyn.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/13481909...red-channel-5/

I would prefer for this not to slide into another unpleasant racial thread, but I fail to see how the acting role for this famous Queen - who was white - can be portrayed by a black actress, no matter how good she may be.

If it is supposed to be another politically correct move, why not go all the way and have a black male playing the Queen even, or is this to come in the future?

Will this one day lead to Judy Dench playing Nelson Mandela?
Or Tom Hanks playing Oprah Winfrey? Or maybe even Julia Roberts as Barack Obama?
Would the public accept this?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 03:41 PM

Re: Politically correct acting

Oh I really dislike when they make historical faux pas in the name of being politically correct! We watch a lot of historical dramas/history programmes, and the amount of black characters that are in positions of power, or even existing in areas where there were no black people at all, really bugs me. Because it isn't historically correct . Nothing to do with racism or hatred, its just didn't happen. Anne Boleyn was white. Therefore she should be played by a white woman. Its quite simple. Its not rocket science. Or Racism.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 03:49 PM

That's how I feel too Pixie.

Also, kids watching that will write at school about Henry VIII marrying a black wife.
Its all wrong and distorts history IMO.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Also, kids watching that will write at school about Henry VIII marrying a black wife.
Agreed. I am certain I read or heard somewhere that AB was described as having lily-white skin.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 03:55 PM

Mups, anything goes it seems these days....accuracy be damned!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 04:11 PM

I agree Mups, it does distort history and, as people learn more about history from films these days, it will one day lead to comments like " I bet he had her executed because she was black"
Apparently she had dark hair and dark eyes, but so did a lot of Irish beauties!

It is a bit like having white slaves in films about slavery in the USA. If black people want to tell their story I think that using white people in the film would be confusing and make the story less honest....just as suggesting that the king of England married a black woman would.

Would they use a white actor in a film about Nelson Mandela?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 04:13 PM

It’s all bollards.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh I really dislike when they make historical faux pas in the name of being politically correct! We watch a lot of historical dramas/history programmes, and the amount of black characters that are in positions of power, or even existing in areas where there were no black people at all, really bugs me. Because it isn't historically correct . Nothing to do with racism or hatred, its just didn't happen. Anne Boleyn was white. Therefore she should be played by a white woman. Its quite simple. Its not rocket science. Or Racism.

I do so agree with you on this.^^^^^^^^^^
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 06:17 PM

Its all wrong and distorts history.
Which is deliberate, mutability of history and the manipulation of facts.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 06:24 PM

I saw this story in the paper a few days ago but couldn't bring myself to start a thread on it. It is just too ridiculous. Colour Blind casting they call it (yes, unfortunately it has a title, so bandwagoneeers take note).

As for David Jason playing Nelson Mandela..... there would be uproar.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top