Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 06:58 PM

Re: Does The ‘Council House Mentality’ Still Exist?

I've heard the expression but it is both dangerous and unfair to tar everyone with the same brush. There are probably more decent people living in council houses than not, as ever it is always the rotten few that spoil things for the many.

I started off married life in a bedsit with shared bathroom with three others, but after a few months managed to get a council house which we lived in for ten years, eventually buying it when Mrs Thatcher was elected. I can truthfully say that then, along with myself most all of the families on our street were decent hard working people, and I was proud to call them friends.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 07:11 PM

I grew up in a council house on a council estate, most of the houses as I remember were well cared for and well looked after, my dad was a keen gardener and our gardens always looked immaculate as did many others, people took pride in themselves and treated the houses with respect, of course there were one or two that weren’t, but i seem to remember they were in a minority, now it seems, that unless a council house has been bought, the tenants won’t even change a lightbulb, they expect the council to do it, I’ve passed my old council house and the places where I used to live and I must say it looks very tatty
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 07:23 PM

In times gone by some people who couldn’t afford to buy were fortunate enough to be granted council house tenancy . I know my husband qualified by his job for a place in what was regarded as one of the better tree lined streets in the town .
Now it’s classed as one of the roughest so I’m told .I don’t know what’s to blame.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 07:30 PM

pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Well does it?
Art, I thought you would have known that one?...😂😅

Joking...I’ve never heard of that to be honest ,Art..
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 07:50 PM

I really don't think it does, to me it is a thing that is very much found in the older folk and has been replaced by the "entitled" sector of the young and immigrants.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I would never judge anybody by the house they live in, I judge them by the way they behave and I have known many lovely people that live in council houses.
(
Exactly! I also think many people who, through no fault of their own, don't have a mortgage/own their house, and there are others who see renting as "not their own house" so don't take care of it as their home. There are others who are home owners and are just careless.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 08:26 PM

I lived in a council house for 2 years when my first born was a year old . Then i moved to another county and eventually bought affordable housing . I looked after the council house and left it very clean and tidy .

Where i live now is half a mile away from council housing and social housing and mixed in with this estate is modern new houses for sale, all well kept and tidy , but as one walks into the social / council house areas some houses are in a bad state , baths in front gardens rubbish dumped gardens not kept decent , but of course there are some tidy well kept social housing but this estate is known for not being the best . I dont know why the social housing allow the houses to be unkempt , and why dont those who are living in them look after and keep decent inside and out .

My son was looking to buy a new build in this area and saw online a new estate being built within this rougher post code , we went to look and drove away because across the road was one of the worst parts of the social housing estate. No way would he buy there
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 11:26 PM

I see a lot of houses, close up, in the built to buy areas, the cheaper end of the stock seem to have blinds, not curtains, and, keep them closed all day. That states something about the inhabitants, not sure what, but maybe its to do with ignorance??
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I see a lot of houses, close up, in the built to buy areas, the cheaper end of the stock seem to have blinds, not curtains, and, keep them closed all day. That states something about the inhabitants, not sure what, but maybe its to do with ignorance??

Ooh do tell me what it means, Spitty, you've got me worried now.
One neighbour has never opened his blinds since I've lived here, which is 14 years now.

Front and back, permanently closed. No sunshine, never a window open all summer. He must have to have his lights on all day long.

He gives me the willy's and always has done.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top