Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 02:38 PM

electric kettle vs whistling stove top kettle?

I was thinking, does anyone here have a stove top kettle and does anyone know whether this is a more eco friendly option? I recall that kettles use the most electricity of any household device when heating up water. Surely a few mins on the gas hob is more eco friendly? Or is it?

Also the number of electric kettles binned every year must be enough to make a few pyramids. Many break down after just over a year. Does it just seem that electric kettles are more eco friendly?
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 02:39 PM

Re: electric kettle vs whistling stove top kettle?

I prefer the whistling stovetop kettle.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 02:46 PM

I prefer the stove top kettle and as a kid I always tried to guess when it would go off and start whistling. Now I'm all electric, so....electric kettle for me.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 02:51 PM

One-Cup kettle here - only boils a measured amount so no wastage of water or leccy.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 03:22 PM

I wish I had the option - or at least I did wish in the past, because until induction hobs came along a gas hob was far more controllable than electric equivalents.

Nowadays it's a pod coffee machine that sees the most use here so for me the question is moot.
BUT ..........
It seems that gas, being cheaper than 'leccy, is the more cost-effective way with the caveat that you only boil what you need and that you turn off the gas as soon as your water has boiled.
According to Which and a few other places.

In real terms unless you drink loads of drinks using hot water I suppose the difference would be minimal, though the part about disposability of electric kettles might well have a bearing too since they do not last long but at least are mostly recyclable.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 03:31 PM

Anyone heard of those weird taps that simply give you boiling water? Wouldn't fancy one of them really - my life is not that busy to take time to boil the kettle.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was thinking, does anyone here have a stove top kettle and does anyone know whether this is a more eco friendly option? I recall that kettles use the most electricity of any household device when heating up water. Surely a few mins on the gas hob is more eco friendly? Or is it?

Also the number of electric kettles binned every year must be enough to make a few pyramids. Many break down after just over a year. Does it just seem that electric kettles are more eco friendly?
My answer is the cup sized immersion heater for just me and for two of us then the electric kettle from Wilco filled up with just enough water for whatever I'm making. I've used my cup heater for so long I've forgotten where I bought it and where, but it's an absolute money saver :yes:
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Anyone heard of those weird taps that simply give you boiling water? Wouldn't fancy one of them really - my life is not that busy to take time to boil the kettle.
I wouldn't fancy one either PK, much like the stay-warm kettles.
They can't possibly be as energy efficient as heating what you need when you need it.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

A few points.

An electric kettle doesn't use a lot of energy. It will sues about 2kW for about three minutes. And even less if you use less water.

How many are binned? The current job has been going for about ten years. So not so many break down. And, in any case, they are not generally that expensive.

Having them on a gas hob? I don't know about the actual energy cost but not a lot and then there is the wasted heat outside the hob.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
A few points.

An electric kettle doesn't use a lot of energy. It will sues about 2kW for about three minutes. And even less if you use less water.

How many are binned? The current job has been going for about ten years. So not so many break down. And, in any case, they are not generally that expensive.

Having them on a gas hob? I don't know about the actual energy cost but not a lot and then there is the wasted heat outside the hob.
Yes energy sites do mention that heat from the hob is lost in the surrounding area.

Interestingly on googling someone from Friends of the Earth said heating the kettle on the gas stove because gas is a primary energy source whereas electricity is not......apparently by the time electricity from fossil fuel generating plants has reached your home it has lost 60% of its energy. That's an interesting way to see it, particularly given the drive for everything electric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top