Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 11:55 PM

Re: Experience or education ?

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Along time, ago one of my colleagues used to smoke a fag in in one hand and a pocked in the other. That avoided electrocution...........
Yes, I've heard of that.

The best way of electrocuting yourself is to hold an earthed item with one hand and touch a live wire with the other!
That's why electricians all walk around in rubber soled shoes with one hand in their pocket.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 12:03 AM

It used to be canaries, then it was corgis, now its just safe, no animals involved anymore.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 04:41 PM

When I was doing my degree in Rubber Technology, I ended up teaching our lecturer about modern tyre production practices because he was lecturing us on methods used in previous decades (mostly pre-WWII).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
When I was doing my degree in Rubber Technology, I ended up teaching our lecturer about modern tyre production practices because he was lecturing us on methods used in previous decades (mostly pre-WWII).
Not a very impressive lecturer!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 09:25 PM

University used to be about education, not training. Sadly no longer.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
But not all that many fatalities. About 26 a year I believe. In the industrial sector where I worked I know of one fatality and one serious injury. That was in fifty years.
I totally agree with you. It could be a shocking experience for little Sparky!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 11:17 PM

Yep, all he wanted to do was play his Magic Piano.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:09 AM

Experience every time. I have come across so many University people with degrees that don't have a clue about the job. Example A female level 4 manager with BT walked into the stores with a bag of tools that were gas fitters tools so found in an enclosed area on the street. or another that walked across a grass verge and walked dogs mess into a persons carpeted hallway.

You have to know the job via hands on to be able to do it.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

You have to know the job via hands on to be able to do it.

But you also have to have head knowledge....so both are needed.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
University used to be about education, not training. Sadly no longer.
Some courses have placements to do, for practical work experience. However when I did mine....they told me to chuck the books and learn the job properly! Its true....academics are so far removed from the field, their teachings can be a bit behind the times.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top