Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 09:21 AM

Re: Somerset Levels.

Love it !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 10:32 AM

When we used to keep a caravan in Glastonbury one of the things I remember most was what Somerset meant, It was a settlement only used in the summer months and the population moved back inland to higher ground while it was flooded during the winter. So this idea it is a good place to build permanent houses seems odd to me. Also the idea it's global warming causing it doesn't add up.

As to sending aid, well perhaps the politicians and royals wandering around in wellies could arrange some of their vast wealth towards helping the people ?
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 12:48 PM

If the villages in Somerset are anything like the ones around me in Lincolnshire, many of them have, over the years, become infilled with large expensive properties, obviously owned by the wealthy. (I wonder how they got planning permission?...) These people can easily afford to pay for flood defences and renovation, but no doubt will be at the front of the queue when it comes to hand-outs.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2014, 08:04 AM

I read this yesterday, I thought it relevant to the thread.

"Why is it that only when the effluent has hit the affluent that anything is done and attention focussed upon their plight".
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2014, 08:36 AM

It seems that charitable folks are not global players, but a sniff of a domestic disaster ignites the urge to donate a Cock and Hen.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2014, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When we used to keep a caravan in Glastonbury one of the things I remember most was what Somerset meant, It was a settlement only used in the summer months and the population moved back inland to higher ground while it was flooded during the winter. So this idea it is a good place to build permanent houses seems odd to me. Also the idea it's global warming causing it doesn't add up.

As to sending aid, well perhaps the politicians and royals wandering around in wellies could arrange some of their vast wealth towards helping the people ?

I recall hearing exactly that Julie. How come planning permission was ever granted to build on an area always known to flood. Makes you wonder don't it . . .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2014, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It seems that charitable folks are not global players, but a sniff of a domestic disaster ignites the urge to donate a Cock and Hen.
So which did you donate SF?
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Even stranger is that locals to the area are well aware of the annual flooding in the levels and the fact that existing housing in the area was traditionally perched on the small areas of higher land in the levels. Also proposed development would require a "Flood Risk Assessment " to be prepared by a qualified engineer and approved by the EA before consideration by the planning authority.
So how the blazes did consent for construction get through the system and who is buying the houses ? incomers ?. When I was touring in the area a few years back the one thought that kept going through my mind was that "this is a winter wet crotch area if ever I have seen one" and at that time no construction of note was going on in the Levels.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2014, 04:28 PM

Very strange indeed, I didn't know about that.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 08:23 AM

So, now it appears that the Environment Agency stance that "It is best not to dredge rivers because they will naturally scour clear", was in fact a load of total nonsense and a blatant excuse not to spend the necessary !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27867179

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top