Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 10:36 AM

Re: I just updated my anti-virus sw, and now....

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Haven't had any Anti-virus software on any of my computers for the last five years ....
Windows Defender anti-virus is still operational though OGF? This runs by default unless it is permanently disabled by:

* Installing a different AV program.
* Going into the Registry and making changes.
* Changing a Group Policy setting.

It seems strange but I have found that Windows Defender on Windows 10 can slow the computer down in some respects. This being program loading times. I'm particular, I have a program called 'Xara Photo & Graphics Designer'. The opening time is really slow if Windows Defender is running. This speeds up as soon as Avira is installed. I can only conclude that Avira lets Windows work faster than Windows Defender does.

There is debate these days about how well any AV program can work. Some say that prevention methods such as anti-exploit, HIPS, hosts file lists and other preventative methods provide better protection than a traditional AV programs does.

Maybe they are right. I try out various strategies occasionally. I have been running Avira Pro anti-virus for a couple of years (for the reason mentioned). At present though, I have no AV program running at all (Windows Defender is disabled in Group Policy). However, MBAM Premium is real time monitoring, also Adguard. Adguard (paid) can take the place of other anti-trackers ad-blockers, and also help to block other possibly harmful content. Sandboxie is also in use.

Not making any recommendations because we all have our preferences but just mentioning.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Windows Defender anti-virus is still operational though OGF? This runs by default unless it is permanently disabled by:
* Installing a different AV program.
* Going into the Registry and making changes.
* Changing a Group Policy setting.
Not making any recommendations because we all have our preferences but just mentioning.
Well it was Mart, but every now and then it would run and slow down my computer so I disabled it.
I must point out though, that I don't do very much on my computer online, except come on here.
Most of the stuff I do I can do offline. Files, statistics, records, electronics drawings and photos....
And I never open e-mails or links that I don't know. Even on here I rarely follow links.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyC ->
Yes, I think you're right there, Mart. What annoys me though is that up till now I never saw ads here. I hadn't set my AV to block ads, and I hadn't made any special settings in Windows. But as soon as I updated Avast, I started seeing every ad on the site.

Of course I never click on them, but obviously they can "read" me anyway, because now the "Russian" dating ads have changed to "Australian" dating ads, and I'm getting ads for anti-virus software.

Why they're showing me ads for bloody "hair extensions" I'll never know!!

I hate that intrusive pushy marketing garbage.
Surely it would be better to ask the Forum whether these adverts, which we see in the forum, are not just advertising allowed in there for money, in just the same way that adverts are placed in Newspapers.

There's nothing wrong with advertising as it probably spares the punter from having to pay for the site to be run.

If they are advertisements allowed in by the Forum Owners, why would anyone suggest that antivirus/malware software will have any effect? It won't!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyC ->
Yes, I think you're right there, Mart. What annoys me though is that up till now I never saw ads here. I hadn't set my AV to block ads, and I hadn't made any special settings in Windows. But as soon as I updated Avast, I started seeing every ad on the site.

Of course I never click on them, but obviously they can "read" me anyway, because now the "Russian" dating ads have changed to "Australian" dating ads, and I'm getting ads for anti-virus software.

Why they're showing me ads for bloody "hair extensions" I'll never know!!

I hate that intrusive pushy marketing garbage.
I haven't tried all AV programs (Avast being one) but as far as I know, blocking advertisements isn't particularly the job they do. This is more done by dedicated ad-blockers. There are different ones to choose from.

Although the ads are a recent thing for you, it might be best to install an ad-blocker or, as has been suggested, disable JavaScript if you don't mind other page content not working sometimes. Some people use a modified hosts file. I think it's fair to say that most would just use an ad-blocker.

Site running costs may need to be taken into account when blocking ads. There is that point to consider as well.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 05:07 PM

Usually, when I open the OFF site there is no advert along the top, presumably due to my ad blocker.

However, occasionally one gets through, although it doesn't really bother me.

Today, however, I noticed a new ad about hotels in Edinburgh. What a coincidence! I had just been looking at hotels in Edinburgh prior to our going there for our anniversary in May.

So it appears that the people who put the adverts on this forum have been snooping and somehow know who I am when I log in to this site.

Perhaps our personal details are not secure on OFF!
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

04-03-2017, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

If they are advertisements allowed in by the Forum Owners, why would anyone suggest that antivirus/malware software will have any effect? It won't!
Joined Feb: No ads.

Logged on every day since then: No ads.

Updated AV software, March: Ads!

Posted about anti-virus software: Ads for anti-virus software!

I have installed AdBlock for internet explorer. It does not work.

Now, instead of Russian prostitutes, I'm being offered Thai prostitutes.

I don't claim to know every dirty trick there is on the Internet, TedC. Do you?
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

04-03-2017, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

So it appears that the people who put the adverts on this forum have been snooping and somehow know who I am when I log in to this site.

Perhaps our personal details are not secure on OFF!
No question about it, I'd say, JBR. None at all.

Not blaming the site admins; I think people who set up web sites are in the same leaky boat as we all are, and they have to compromise. But if every web site is basically just a front for exploitive advertising, I reckon there's no point in having a damn computer at all. I could subject myself to intrusive advertising anywhere else if I wanted to.

Especially when the advertising is for grubby, sordid "dating" crap that assumes you're an old toad looking for a prostitute.

I could subject myself to the come-ons of prostitutes just by walking through King's Cross in Sydney.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

04-03-2017, 06:31 PM

I've been reading about Avast JimmyC and there is mention of it including an ad-blocker.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30006...-features.html

In view of that, I'd say that the ads being seen here have probably always been present but Avast has been managing to block them ..up until the time of the last update anyway.

Perhaps a question in Avast's own forum might be the way to go. If it seems the ads can't now be blocked by Avast, then perhaps the only answer would to install a (free) ad-blocker. What browser do you use?
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

04-03-2017, 06:31 PM

I haven't tried all AV programs (Avast being one) but as far as I know, blocking advertisements isn't particularly the job they do.
You're right, that's not what they do, Mart.

Although the ads are a recent thing for you, it might be best to install an ad-blocker.
Did that. It doesn't work.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

04-03-2017, 06:36 PM

I've been reading about Avast JimmyC and there is mention of it including an ad-blocker.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30006...-features.html

In view of that, I'd say that the ads being seen here have probably always been present but Avast has been managing to block them ..up until the time of the last update anyway.

Perhaps a question in Avast's own forum might be the way to go. If it seems the ads can't now be blocked by Avast, then perhaps the only answer would to install a (free) ad-blocker. What browser do you use?
(Sorry, just replied to your earlier post, Mart)

By default Avast doesn't block ads. But yes, it seems there must be some setting in it that has the same effect when set correctly. I don't know, maybe it can disable scripts without disabling other functions... dunno. In any case, it stopped doing what it was doing, after I updated it.

I will ask a question in the Avast forum. I'm probably being a pain in the bum complaining about it here. It's nobody's fault.

Getting to be a cranky bastard, I suppose.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top