Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 12:27 PM

The beginning of the end of the Green Age?

We in this country, perhaps more than any other country, seem to be leading the way in banning everything which could conceivably create the end of the world!
Yes, this little country is putting ourselves at great disadvantage for... nothing!
China, India, Russia, in fact most other 'first world' countries are still benefiting from coal mining, the burning of coal for energy generation, etc. We are heavily outnumbered in that respect. Does anyone really think that what we are doing is going to make any real difference?

However, there may be the beginnings of a return to common sense:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ght-latest-ont

Not a completely wholesale return to the Industrial Revolution, but at least some way toward a middle ground.

Germany, for example, still mines coal and burns it for power generation. The Greenies may or may not be jumping up and down over there, but I'm pleased to see that they seem to be generally ignored. We should do the same.

It should also be realised that coal mining and power generation today is a great deal cleaner than a hundred years ago (though perhaps not in places like China).

Yes, the proposed modern deep coal mine in Cumbria has been put on hold, but I hope that it will eventually go ahead. We cannot rely on windmills for all the trendy electric cars the government is pushing, and for some people (no doubt other Greenies) nuclear power is considered too 'dangerous'.

Let me finally add a couple of readers' comments from the above newspaper article:

"Germany has just opened a new coal mine We import tons of coal from France. Get the Cumbria coalmine open, they need the jobs & we need the coal."

"Green energy is fine but if you are importing all the kit from Chyna you are literally wrecking the future. And lets be clear - we NEED coal power too."

"Opening a coal mine in the UK would not be adding to an6 pollution as it would be replacing what we already use. It would forego the extra pollution from transportation from around the world and also stop the need for buying it from the likes of China where the environmental standards mean that they actually be producing more pollution than if we did it ourselves, whilst at the same time giving more jobs and investment to areas of the UK."
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 01:18 PM

Re: The beginning of the end of the Green Age?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We in this country, perhaps more than any other country, seem to be leading the way in banning everything which could conceivably create the end of the world!
Yes, this little country is putting ourselves at great disadvantage for... nothing!
China, India, Russia, in fact most other 'first world' countries are still benefiting from coal mining, the burning of coal for energy generation, etc. We are heavily outnumbered in that respect. Does anyone really think that what we are doing is going to make any real difference?

However, there may be the beginnings of a return to common sense:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ght-latest-ont

Not a completely wholesale return to the Industrial Revolution, but at least some way toward a middle ground.

Germany, for example, still mines coal and burns it for power generation. The Greenies may or may not be jumping up and down over there, but I'm pleased to see that they seem to be generally ignored. We should do the same.

It should also be realised that coal mining and power generation today is a great deal cleaner than a hundred years ago (though perhaps not in places like China).

Yes, the proposed modern deep coal mine in Cumbria has been put on hold, but I hope that it will eventually go ahead. We cannot rely on windmills for all the trendy electric cars the government is pushing, and for some people (no doubt other Greenies) nuclear power is considered too 'dangerous'.

Let me finally add a couple of readers' comments from the above newspaper article:

"Germany has just opened a new coal mine We import tons of coal from France. Get the Cumbria coalmine open, they need the jobs & we need the coal."

"Green energy is fine but if you are importing all the kit from Chyna you are literally wrecking the future. And lets be clear - we NEED coal power too."

"Opening a coal mine in the UK would not be adding to an6 pollution as it would be replacing what we already use. It would forego the extra pollution from transportation from around the world and also stop the need for buying it from the likes of China where the environmental standards mean that they actually be producing more pollution than if we did it ourselves, whilst at the same time giving more jobs and investment to areas of the UK."
EVERY match not struck, every fossil fuel not burned - every single one not ignited is a reduction in the carbon released into the environment.

Every single one.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 01:30 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
EVERY match not struck, every fossil fuel not burned - every single one not ignited is a reduction in the carbon released into the environment.

Every single one.
Every single one we prevent using is negligible compared to the millions China and others create and use.

Are you happy to continue pissing into the wind?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Every single one we prevent using is negligible compared to the millions China and others create and use.

Are you happy to continue pissing into the wind?
No, because that is not what is happening. Every drop of piddle adds to every other and leads to a growing lake and soon a sea.

"Whataboutery" is no get out excuse for not doing the right thing when doing the right thing is essential and - this is.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 04:38 PM

I reckon this new coal mine should go ahead if only to reduce the amount of pollution caused by the importation of coal from places such as France (how long before that has tariffs applied?) and Colombia, and wood pellets from the USA?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-03-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
No, because that is not what is happening. Every drop of piddle adds to every other and leads to a growing lake and soon a sea.

"Whataboutery" is no get out excuse for not doing the right thing when doing the right thing is essential and - this is.
But every thing that we do to placate the Greenies is outdone to an overwhelming degree by what some other countries do.

You can continue to bang your head against the wall if you want!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-03-2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I reckon this new coal mine should go ahead if only to reduce the amount of pollution caused by the importation of coal from places such as France (how long before that has tariffs applied?) and Colombia, and wood pellets from the USA?
Yes I agree, and that very important matter was mentioned in the newspaper report, or at least in the readers' comments.

Burning wood pellets, as you mention, produces less energy than burning coal yet itself also adds to the pollution of the atmosphere.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
France ends coal mining with tears but not a single protest.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-03-2021, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
France ends coal mining with tears but not a single protest.
I don't think the Frogs ever did a right lot anyway.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top