Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

17-05-2012, 12:13 PM

Freecycle

Do any of you use Freecycle? I find it a very useful way of getting rid of my unwanted items. As we are moving home and have 43 years worth of 'junk' to dispose of. The Freecycle in our area is doing well out of us at present. It is a way of getting rid of the larger items, which I can't lug down to the charity shops, like a bed, old copper pipes etc. Charity shops won't usually accept electrical goods, so Freecycle is a good outlet for them too. We have a coffee percolator, yogurt maker and bread maker, all hardly used, too much hassle!

One thing that does annoy me though is impolite responses to the ads. If they don't contain a please or thank you, I delete them. I do expect people to pick up the goods as soon as possible, on a first come first served basis, after all I am doing them a favour. Some of our 'junk' is worth money and would fetch a bob or two on e-bay if I could be bothered putting it on there, which I can't.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2012, 03:22 PM

Re: Freecycle

I did join when it first started but found the site confusing I will have to see if it has improved..
ragman
yorkshire
ragman is male 

17-05-2012, 06:07 PM

i think freecycle is a great way of getting shut of junk , nearly everything i have offered has been taken , old furniture , lumps of wood , old garden tools , all have gone , saves petrol going to the tip ,
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2012, 12:56 AM

I've used Freecycle and also Freegle to get rid of stuff. There's always somebody who wants your unwanted items. Much better to give it away than go to landfill.

The only thing I've not been successful in is getting any free items myself as they always go so quickly so have decided next time I need something is to post a Wanted message
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

18-05-2012, 11:07 AM

To be honest I never read the wanted messages, I just post my stuff and wait for people to e-mail me. If I have multiple replies I select on the basis of giving to people who have had stuff off me before and I have liked. If they aren't in contact, I then select on the basis of a polite message which isn't in text speak, and with correct spelling. I reckon if someone is too thick to write a decent e-mail they are unlikely to be unable to follow the directions to our property, which are a bit complicated.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2012, 12:42 PM

I've always wondered how much freecycle stuff is actually collected and then sold for profit. I bet there are a good few people who make a business out of it.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

21-05-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I've always wondered how much freecycle stuff is actually collected and then sold for profit. I bet there are a good few people who make a business out of it.
I don't care if they do.
EmpatheticKitty
New Member!
UK
EmpatheticKitty is female 

21-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Freegle groups are easier to use than the American freecycle. All Freegle groups are also run by real local people who are happy to help you use the group if you have any grief. If people want to get things for free and sell them on then they need to disclose that when asking for an item so that givers can make an informed decision when giving something away.The most important thing is that goods are kept in circulation, shared locally and not binned unnecessarily. Lots of Freegle groups can also be used via Facebook as that is easier for some people....all 337 groups are listed here: [Mod edit/link removed]
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

21-05-2012, 05:14 PM

I can't say I was impressed with Freegle, I prefer Freecycle, but each to their own.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I don't care if they do.
Except that it is explicitly against the terms and conditions of freecycle...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top