Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 12:54 AM

Older Drivers

I was having a think driving home from work this evening and it dawned on me that people, such as our grandparents probably didn't have a car, or even learn to drive.

It's pretty much the norm these days for people to drive, but when I think about my "old" granny (who was about my age (62) at my youngest memory of her) would never have learned how to drive; neither did my mum, who was born in 1919.

My granny at 62 was a granny type granny. Little old lady with grey hair taken up into a twisted bun at the top of her head.

How many of your mums learned how to drive?

My ex-husband Frank up until recently lived and worked at Mulgrave Castle in Whitby, and the old Dowager Duchess at the age of 90 was still driving, albeit only very locally.

At what age should there be a definite cut-off point?
Jimbo
Aberdeen,UK
Jimbo is male  Jimbo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 01:14 AM

Re: Older Drivers

Mollie I think it is up to the individual....their state of health etc.There are one or two 100 year olds still driving.
I was an Advanced Driver and gave it up when I retired at 65.
Not because of health reasons but for financial reasons.

Off topic.....I had to laugh when you described your granny.
I often say there are lots of young grannies today....they dont look like grannies...........................My maternal grandmother looked like a granny.....long skirt to the floor,big white apron and button boots.She died at 92.about 60 years.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo ->
Mollie I think it is up to the individual....their state of health etc.There are one or two 100 year olds still driving.
I was an Advanced Driver and gave it up when I retired at 65.
Not because of health reasons but for financial reasons.

Off topic.....I had to laugh when you described your granny.
I often say there are lots of young grannies today....they dont look like grannies...........................My maternal grandmother looked like a granny.....long skirt to the floor,big white apron and button boots.She died at 92.about 60 years.
Yes James. That's the kind of granny I was meaning, but grannies aren't like that today at 60. Far from it.

My granny had a horse and trap which was the normal road traffic back in the early 1910s and cars were just a new-fangled nuisance!

I do agree though that it does depend on the individual and I know these days a driver has to have another test or something once reaching the age of 70 - I think.

I used to have a neighbour who still drove, but he struggled to get into his car. I often thought that if he came upon a serious situation, he'd have a problem doing an emergency stop, as he couldn't walk very well due to a weakness in his legs.
Jimbo
Aberdeen,UK
Jimbo is male  Jimbo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 01:30 AM

I do agree though that it does depend on the individual and I know these days a driver has to have another test or something once reaching the age of 70 - I think.

Hi Mollie.......since I became 70 I have to renew licence every three years.....thats all.
I still renew although I dont drive anymore.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

25-05-2012, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo ->

Hi Mollie.......since I became 70 I have to renew licence every three years.....thats all.
I still renew although I dont drive anymore.
Oh I see, thanks for that James. I still think that by a certain age, a driver should take another test though, so as to be sure that they can see properly, react quickly, and understand road awareness.

A few years ago I went to the local car park in my local village and there was a little blue car stopped and was causing a bit of a jam. There was, what I describe as a little old lady behind the wheel.

She was totally confused so I parked my car and went over to her. She was around 65-ish and looked terrified. I asked her where she wanted to go to and she said she just wanted to park, but was frightened of parking.

Anyway, top and tail was, I parked her car for her, but I've no idea what happened after that. This lady was not fit to drive, in my humble opinion.
dabby
uk
dabby is male  dabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->

At what age should there be a definite cut-off point?
When they are no longer with us , just in case
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 07:34 AM

My Great grandad had a car in 1915 so a lot of older people years ago did learn to drive.
As for knowing when to stop driving is a individual persons decision, I do agree that there should be a test for older drivers mainly to check their eye sight and reflect times. As you get older you reactions slow down and that is a problem when driving.
Mind you there are far more young drivers who need to be tested first as from what I see about 80% of them do not know how to drive.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Both my dad and mum drove and so did one of my grandfathers, but not my grandma. You made me panic Mollie when I read about taking a test at 70. I'm still on the road and would hate to have to stop driving. I would be very aprehensive about taking a test again (don't know how I got through the first one when I was 21 ). I still love to drive, but these days it can be scary and I am not as confident as I was when I am somewhere I have never been before and have to find the directions on my own. I've got a sat.nav. but it seems to be more trouble than it is worth. In a lot of ways my car is like my home on wheels. It carries all sorts of things about and I would hate to have to give it up.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2012, 08:38 AM

My parents both drove although my Dad gave up quite early as he really didn't enjoy it. My Mum drove until she was 80 at which time she had to renew her licence and made the decision she wouldn't. She was in good health but didn't feel her reflexes were as sharp as they should be. I wish more people would make this decision as there are people driving who shouldn't be and with the speed of traffic on our roads today they run the risk of having an accident injuring themselves and others. It has to be each individual's decision though as some people age better than others.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

25-05-2012, 08:53 AM

My mother 88 has only recently had her licence removed. It should have been done years ago. I am of the opinion old people shouldn't be permitted to drive, old dodders on the road are a nightmare!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top