Join for free
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2012, 04:06 AM

A moment at the long-term care home

I visited my Mom today, picking up her favourite chicken dinner for both of us and bringing it to her residence. We ate in the family kitchen which has a view of the residents' lounge.

After the other residents finished dinner some returned to their rooms and others went outdoors to enjoy a few more minutes of daylight. I'm getting to know some of the folks now, and while many are cognitively well, others are much less so.

Staff parked one woman in a wheelchair in front of the tv, but her expression was blank and she didn't so much as move her head or seem to notice the program that was on.

A gentleman pushing his walker slowly made his way to her side. She didn't notice him until he gently reached down to take her hand. Instantly she tilted her head up to look directly at him and I was amazed at the big, beautiful smile on her face! He spoke to her quietly for a few moments then took a chair nearby. She beamed that wonderful smile at him for a long, long time but never spoke a word.

Like so many others I tend to rush through my days, mentally ticking off things done and yet to do, taking satisfaction in accomplishments. Yet what that gentleman accomplished in a matter of minutes is far more meaningful.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Re: A moment at the long-term care home

That must have been wonderful to witness that dear lady awaken from her lost world at the touch of a hand, Sue ...... just goes to show that the smallest action can bring immense happiness to some.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2012, 11:53 AM

I was very touched Mags.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2012, 01:19 PM

Aw that's a really touching thing to witness Sue.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2012, 01:42 PM

How lovely Sue, made my throat ache.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2012, 02:43 PM

thats indeed lovley just somthing so simmple that can touch your heart
my mother in law was a in a home to spent most of her days in her room sleeping
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2012, 04:06 PM

I was very moved by that Annie, life is very cruel to some people,but you were lucky to see that for a while the lady recognised kindness from another human being.Thankyou for telling us.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top