Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Re: Tug Boats

I always think of David and Goliath when watching those little tugs manoeuvre huge Cruise ships and I actually hold my breath when they do a complete turn a sthey have to do in some ffiords
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Tug Boats are the Beast. They pack huge power in small size.
Normally they have towing power of minimum 40T to 120T.
The credit actually goes to water. Water hardly provides any opposite force for Tugs to push or pull big ships.
Even a small 20T Tug can easily tow a standard panamax. only thing is that it will happen at very slow pace. The Tugs have one job, they have to churn enough water to create thrust which can displace or move ship. Remember, anchored ships are easily moved by sea waves, Tugs are way more powerful than that.
When a ship is anchored, normally it moves in circle because of the waves, instead of staying put at one place.
All the Tug has to do is break the inertia of the vessel and start the movement. Once this starts, it's an easy job from there.
Very good explanation. And you are right. The speed is a critical factor in determining the power required. I did some commissioning on Canadian Coastguard vessels that had upwards of 40,000 horsepower propulsion. A couple of them had 100,000 HP. For those technically minded, the control system for the drives were cycloconverters.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 02:16 PM

I grew up watching tug boats manoeuvre the big ships. I don't know anything technical about them but just know they are the workhorses of the water.

There was a bridge where I lived which would often be raised and sometimes huge cruise ships would pass through where they would be re-fitted. Sometimes there was just a couple of feet either side of the ship but they were always expertly guided through by the tugs. Those boatmen were so skilled.

DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 02:51 PM

Getting a large vessel moving is a tough chore but once in motion, stopping them is impossible in a short distance. Even if they are under their own power and put the screws in full astern, they will travel a very long distance before coming to a stop.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
Getting a large vessel moving is a tough chore but once in motion, stopping them is impossible in a short distance. Even if they are under their own power and put the screws in full astern, they will travel a very long distance before coming to a stop.
It's that 0.5mv^2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 03:45 PM

I may be talking out of my posterior here but I always thought that, rather than actually pulling or towing large ships, tugs were used more to guide the vessels - pushing from the side(s) to make sure they go in the correct direction in limited spaces.

I assume that this would require much less power than propelling the ships, which would be moving largely 'under their own steam' anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I may be talking out of my posterior here but I always thought that, rather than actually pulling or towing large ships, tugs were used more to guide the vessels - pushing from the side(s) to make sure they go in the correct direction in limited spaces.

I assume that this would require much less power than propelling the ships, which would be moving largely 'under their own steam' anyway.
I have always thought it was a bit of both but then I might be talking out of my posterior too.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have always thought it was a bit of both but then I might be talking out of my posterior too.
Actually, a lot of interesting things come out of my posterior.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Actually, a lot of interesting things come out of my posterior.
Should we mention the home made bidet?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top