Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 09:25 PM

Re: Would you like a new homepage and 'News' section?

I think it's alright as it is, having headlines on the front page I think would scare people off, I know it would scare the hell outa me.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2014, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I like things 'new' if they are interesting and beneficial. Giving members an option of posting their own news gives a great psychological boast IMO. members can feel more in control and more responsible for the site in general. I like the idea in itself but the psychological benefits are thing are very significant. When can we start?
Yep, that's a good part of it Gumbud - it's to let members have some sort of editorial control (and as you rightly said, feel empowered by that), while at the same time also feel part of what some might consider a 'bigger' (bigger than 'just' a forum) site.

I have often asked members on Dogsey whether they would prefer us to drop the editorial sections to become just a forum, but they have always liked being part of a bigger site with what many would think more 'clout' - and it's what differentiates us from the other dog forums.

With regards to Julie's comments about disagreements - that's totally fine, it helps balance things out and if anything just shows we are all human
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 02:26 AM

let's start then!! - just for a trial of course!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Yep, that's a good part of it Gumbud - it's to let members have some sort of editorial control (and as you rightly said, feel empowered by that), while at the same time also feel part of what some might consider a 'bigger' (bigger than 'just' a forum) site.

I have often asked members on Dogsey whether they would prefer us to drop the editorial sections to become just a forum, but they have always liked being part of a bigger site with what many would think more 'clout' - and it's what differentiates us from the other dog forums.

With regards to Julie's comments about disagreements - that's totally fine, it helps balance things out and if anything just shows we are all human
Its a little different with a 'dog' site compared to this one Azz.
They will want something else, other than posts referring to dogs .......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

Well perhaps just me but if I happened upon dogsey now when looking for a dog forum I would have run for the hills, I was looking for like minded dog lovers who could help me with a problem when I joined if I had seen people squabbling about who said what I would have not bothered joining.

Also many people seem to join this forum seeking friendship and chat they avoid the news and discussion sections like the plague and I think you could put them off if they see some of the discussions we have. While I don't understand that stance I absolutely want them to feel as welcome as those who want to talk about politics etc.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 09:07 AM

I prefer the current format. If I want news I just nip on to Mail Online. Which is my next stop!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 09:39 AM

The overall posts are against the idea - for sure ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 09:48 AM

I always caution against forum changes have watched far too many disappear over the years due to fancy changes and not concentrating on the content. If people are comfortable with a format they are far more likely to post so finding better subjects and encouraging members to participate are much more likely to make a forum last.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 09:59 AM

sometimes you just have to make an 'executive' decision - as my old boss used to say - thank you for all your contributions but you don't get the final say I do!

over to you Azz!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-04-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
sometimes you just have to make an 'executive' decision - as my old boss used to say - thank you for all your contributions but you don't get the final say I do!

over to you Azz!
Whats the point of asking then ....?

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top