Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 02:40 PM

Re: should I shouldn't I move house dilemma

If you can afford it, I might suggest going to Glastonbury for a couple of weeks to really get a feel for the area and become re-familiarized with, hospitals, dentists, salons, shops, etc. Check out the neighborhoods you are interested in during the day - and at night. During your visit you might look at a few different places and talk to people about the extra expenses you might expect. One tends to look at a place differently when actually considering relocation.

If you do decide to move, I suggest that you might consider doing it soon. The reality is that moving too late in life can be one's undoing. It's just too much to manage and take in, which can cause confusion and other problems.

I agree that if you consider renting your house out, you might want to make sure that one of your children or a paid management company might handle it as a rental. The expense would be worth the potential headaches.

All that said, I love to move - something like nineteen times for me in the last thirty years - so I know how exciting it can be, and wish you well if that's what you decide to do!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
Another option would be to put your own house up for rent, instead of selling it.
The rent you receive for your own house could be used to cover renting an apartment in Glastonbury but give you the freedom to move somewhere else if it doesn't suit you or move back to your old home if you change your mind.

A lot depends on the current property market in your area and whether the sales market is buoyant or if the rental market is more viable.
May be worth chatting to a few estate agents.
Good idea!
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 03:18 PM

I owned three homes previously, first one when newly married for two years, then moved out of state, built a second home, and lived there for 25 years, remarried and moved to his home several years.
I am now in an apartment for 10 years, love the freedom of not watching for repairs, call the landlord for maintenance, and able to travel when I want and where. Am now considering relocating to VA from NY, and looking forward to meeting new people.

Weighing the options of buying or renting, but if I don't like it there, I would have the hassle of selling, and I don't want to do that at my age. I live alone, so it's my choice.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 04:10 PM

Thankyou everyone for your kind words and advice . It's funny when we get these strange feelings like being unsettled or looking for something different isn't it , I thought I'd be happy to leave this house feet first and here I am getting house valued next week . I wonder if it's cause I'm thinking there may not be too long left so I've gotta pack in what I can .

I'll be doing some sums next week . I would definitely buy or rent in an over 55 complex though .

Thanks again x
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 04:50 PM

I too am thinking of selling this shared ownership flat and moving out, as I need somewhere with a garden. My sister should be moving to Norfolk soon, and I always said I would follow her up there.

If I thought it would be hard to find rental with the dog, then I would need to buy, but am limited, as I only own half the flat here, and don’t know its current value. Once I’ve had a good tidy up I will get it valued by the housing association and make a decision. I extended the lease 18 months ago so am hoping that will help to sell.

I’ve lived here 24 years, but always worry I will go from frying pan into the fire!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
If you can afford it, I might suggest going to Glastonbury for a couple of weeks to really get a feel for the area and become re-familiarized with, hospitals, dentists, salons, shops, etc. Check out the neighborhoods you are interested in during the day - and at night. During your visit you might look at a few different places and talk to people about the extra expenses you might expect. One tends to look at a place differently when actually considering relocation.

If you do decide to move, I suggest that you might consider doing it soon. The reality is that moving too late in life can be one's undoing. It's just too much to manage and take in, which can cause confusion and other problems.

I agree that if you consider renting your house out, you might want to make sure that one of your children or a paid management company might handle it as a rental. The expense would be worth the potential headaches.

All that said, I love to move - something like nineteen times for me in the last thirty years - so I know how exciting it can be, and wish you well if that's what you decide to do!
I'm only 52 but I'd consider moving just too stressful for me. Even if I was rich and could afford to live in a big house in the best neighbourhood it would be unsettling for me.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 04:57 PM

Deleted
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

03-08-2018, 05:02 PM

I'd go for it and move, its always exciting moving to a new area, seeing new places and meeting new people.

If you like the wackyness of Glastonbury have you looked at Totnes that is a great place and extremely wacky. We only ever buy but that is something only you can decide on.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:12 PM

We downsized six years ago. Our previous property was a 1610 farmhouse with large gardens and a 3 acre field. The field attracted the attention of the media! I was finding the property hard to cope with after my husband's brain haemorrhage. Among other things, I was responsible for ensuring the septic tank didn't get blocked, and rodding out the drain if it did. I really enjoyed that task, NOT.

Our present home is a modern detached house in a pleasant semi-rural village. It has three double bedrooms, mine has a en suite, a large bathroom a large lounge with dining room at one end, a study for my husband downstairs, a kitchen with sunroom attached, utility room, and downstairs cloakroom. The garden is much more manageable. We can get up to five cars on our drive.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=Jazzi

I’ve lived here 24 years, but always worry I will go from frying pan into the fire![/QUOTE]

I think I'm feeling the same feeling jazzi , I actually said to a friend the other night

" I don't want to break my own heart "

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top