Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 09:54 AM

Re: Prettiest Villages

"Who needs anything more than that? "

I do, and lots of other people do too. It isn't that we don't have beautiful places, but other countries have beautiful, but different, places too.
I think that the urge to travel and see other places is characteristic of the human race in general.

I'm not sure what the answer is to over-tourism is. I fear that many places eg. Lake district are victims of their own popularity. When we first started visiting the lakes in the 60's & 70's you could park free with reasonable ease. Now you virtually have to mortgage your house and queue up to find a place to stop. Some areas of the Peaks in Derbyshire are just as bad.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 10:24 AM

I recently visited Loch Lomand. You know the one, that famed romantic beautiful Scottish lake!.

I was greeted with an Indian in full war head dress playing the pan pipes in front of an obscene Sea life building which blocked the view to the lake.

Disappointing first impression is putting it mildly
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
Why go abroad when we have so much here? We have miles and miles of countryside and long sandy beaches... Who needs anything more than that?
Couldn't agree more sadly some people need the good weather too which we lack sometimes. Myself even when it's raining I cant imagine anywhere better than the UK.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 11:59 AM

Not all people go abroad just for sun and sand, many people like to see different ways of life, different cultures, meet local people and experience vastly different ways of life, some of us even like to leave our "comfort" zone now and then for whole new experiences. That's why many people like to go abroad, not all, but many.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Not all people go abroad just for sun and sand, many people like to see different ways of life, different cultures, meet local people and experience vastly different ways of life, some of us even like to leave our "comfort" zone now and then for whole new experiences. That's why many people like to go abroad, not all, but many.
Well said, Clumsy. My main reason for travelling is to experience things that I cannot experience in the UK or Ireland. I like to think that it broadens my outlook generally and maybe even in some ways makes me a better person. To me, new experiences and cultures are an important part of living and understanding the world around us.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Well said, Clumsy. My main reason for travelling is to experience things that I cannot experience in the UK or Ireland. I like to think that it broadens my outlook generally and maybe even in some ways makes me a better person. To me, new experiences and cultures are an important part of living and understanding the world around us.
Absolutely orang-utan. I'm sure many people would possibly change their whole outlook on life if they actually visited some of the third world countries and actually left the 5 star hotels and tourist areas now and then, taking sensible precautions of course. Seeing things on TV really doesn't give a true picture at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 01:57 PM

My holidays are too few and too precious to visit anywhere I am not 100 % sure I will enjoy. If I had time to spare and money to burn I might venture forth but I don't so I will stick to the best of our country and know I will enjoy the precious time off with my family that I have.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 03:35 PM

I've got no great desire to visit 3rd. world countries, although I avoid tourist 'hot spots' where possible. I enjoy visiting small towns stumbling upon interesting out of the way places. I can understand sticking to places that you know you will enjoy, but I try to see somewhere new every year.

I'll be off to Portugal for the first time next month and then a bit more touring round Scotland before the end of the caravanning season.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top