Join for free
Page 181 of 370 « First < 81 131 171 179 180 181 182 183 191 231 281 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 06:45 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Deciding on a spur of the moment to venture out to the gym this afternoon for an extra session was a good move. Partly because leaving things until tomorrow’s usual mammoth effort (which is to be revised btw) would have been a three-day gap which is out of my rule book for my new routine, and also because I am itching to get started on said new programme as soon as possible, i.e. from tomorrow instead of next Monday.

So with a final ‘reverse sets’ session before they are consolidated into my new 4-day session (see foot of page), I ventured outbound on a quickie. As Monday, each set starting heavy(ish) and working back down to a final set of bigger reps.

Thursday, 26/7/18:
(All weights in kgs)

DB bench press, 15° incline:
11x30’s, 8x28’s, 14x24’s, 15x20’s
*I dipped out on the second set because starting the session with 30kg dumbbells was a task too far. It’s not far away though.

Smith shoulder press, 60° bench:
6x40, 9x35, 12x30, 15x20

Lat pulldown, wide grip:
8x60, 10x50, 16x40, 20x30

Seated row:
25x41

Chest press:
12x80, 14x70, 17x60, 20x45

Pec dec:
25x30

Time: 45 mins.

Nice and easy today, nothing too strenuous in this heat. As I am off work tonight, I retired home for a nice beer in the garden before the thunderstorms came.

NB. As I mentioned earlier, my future workouts will comprise a four-part routine split over a four-day programme utilising all my exercises spread out over that time period, plus a few new ones as and when they are thought of. I’ll begin this tomorrow as follows:

Each session will begin with multiple sets of very low reps of the bigger muscle group areas, increasing in weight until I can’t do any more reps. There will be no limit to the number of sets as I only intend to do two or three of these heavier sets per session. Next I’ll do some standard sets: 10-12 reps over three sets of a couple of exercises. Following that will be a reverse set or two and finally I’ll finish on some single-set high reps using the lighter machine-based weights.

Each session should take no longer than 1 ¼ hours and my legs session will remain separate, save for an intermediate sled press blast mid-week. Really looking forward to all of this.

Thanks for reading
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 10:39 PM

Ok so after a long respite I am happy to report that I have rejoined my local health club and that last night I went swimming for the first time since my holiday in mid June. I was amazed at how fit I was and how easy it was to do ten lengths. I thought I shouldn't try to do too much at once. Hoping to get up to twenty in the next week. But just one night of swimming has made so much difference to my tone and general well being. I've always toned up really fast with exercise and am relieved that hasn't changed. I used to love swimming so much and I have forgotten what a buzz a good workout gives you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 10:43 PM

Are we really having thunderstorms tonight Floydy?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Ok so after a long respite I am happy to report that I have rejoined my local health club and that last night I went swimming for the first time since my holiday in mid June. I was amazed at how fit I was and how easy it was to do ten lengths. I thought I shouldn't try to do too much at once. Hoping to get up to twenty in the next week. But just one night of swimming has made so much difference to my tone and general well being. I've always toned up really fast with exercise and am relieved that hasn't changed. I used to love swimming so much and I have forgotten what a buzz a good workout gives you.

Are we really having thunderstorms tonight Floydy?
Well done on your return to swimming, Annie. It doesn't take long to get back into it, as they say. 10 lengths is nine more than I can do! Keep that motivation going

The thunderstorms his us in East Yorkshire a little late, but they're here good and proper this morning
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 11:20 AM

I set off to go for my Friday five mile run at 6:30 am, very still and atmospheric, mist hung over the low ground and the remnants of yesterday's afternoon thunderstorm were still apparent. Leaves and branches were strewn over the path across the field, they had been brought down by the heavy rain that dowsed the ground in biblical proportions.

I crossed the field and entered the woods, a distant rumble of thunder and spots of rain about the size of ten pence pieces had me quickening my pace and by the time I exited the wood it was raining quite heavily. I joined the footpath at the side of the main road and the rain stopped. I was relieved, you always look such a plonker running in the rain dressed only in tee shirt and shorts while all the motorists queueing at the roundabout on their way to work, stare at you through steamed windows while listing to some banging rock album....Boom boom boom is all I can hear.

The thunder grows louder as I leave the main road and join a quiet side road that leads to the lane, and was that a flash of lightning bouncing off the puddles?
I pass through the kissing gate to a twenty one gun salute of thunder; the lane is not a good place to be caught out in a thunderstorm, it's quite open in places, and is prone to flash flooding making running difficult.....That's if I survive the lightning strike!......

The rain begins as I pass a dog walker, he gestures towards the sky, and I point out that neither of us are going to escape the wrath of the gods this morning. The rain doesn't look like individual droplets any more, just a straight line beaming down to the dusty track and bouncing up impressively high. I have a choice as I reach a tunnel of foliage where the hedges have grown so tall that they lean towards each other, and for a brief minute or two the rain stops as I enter this cathedral of respite. Do I stop the watch and sit it out? or do I carry on and face the storm head on?

I elect to make a run for it....Ha! I was running anyway, and my tee shirt already resembled a dish cloth, and water spilled out of my sodden running shoes. One mile to go along the wide empty lane as I left the protection of the trees. Even though my clothes were already wet, the sudden cold splash of fresh heavy rain took my breath. I bent into a head down position and pushed into the storm. Lightning flashed and thunder roared as I splashed through the ever increasing puddles and rivers of mud that now resided where the firm dusty track has previously resided.

I heard the distant drone of an engine behind me, and as it grew closer we arrived at the railway crossing together. It was the girl from the remote farm two fields away. Our way was barred by a gate that prevented unwary runners, walkers and pretty farm girls in four by fours from straying onto the railway line. In the pouring rain I stopped my watch and gestured to her to stay in her vehicle while I opened the gate, I then jogged to the other side and opened the far gate. The 7:19 to Hull rattled by and after waving acknowledgement to the driver, I waved her through. I guessed she was grateful as she blew a kiss through the rain soaked window and sped off up the last quarter mile of lane.

After closing both gates I started the watch and squelched the last quarter mile home in what was now glorious sunshine!
Interesting to note though that those were the very same crossing gates where I rested after my first ever run exactly forty years ago tomorrow. There's a lot of water passed under the bridge since then, and most of it was this morning......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-07-2018, 12:20 PM

I do love reading about your adventures, Bob. getting soaked to the skin was always on the cards this morning and although that was probably very refreshing in itself, I'd have been more worried about getting hit by lightning I think.
Great to hear that you're fully back into it now though.

Anyway, a wonderful description there, Bob. I do wish I could make my own exercise routines more interesting. Alas, my surroundings are sadly just a picture of sweaty folks behaving madly around pieces of ugly metal and vinyl cushions.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-07-2018, 07:17 PM

Starting my new revised programme as mentioned in the post above which will see me tackling heavier weights with more controlled lifts as opposed to banging out high reps on every set, we actually begin the programme on Day 3* (Days 1&2 being my shorter, “during the week” lighter sessions with mostly different exercises).

Again, very few high reps take place in this weekend workout but the reverse sets which I enjoyed last week are scattered around the programme and a couple do feature today. The other major change is that I will now be stating a weight target and also a reps target for each exercise (as many sets as it takes to reach that max). I will note these under each heading and ensure I hit that target each time. These will then increase each respective session in order to reach gains and maintain a fit, strong body shape and in the process build, tighten and harden the muscles. I ain’t giving into any so-called age barrier. No sir.

Friday, 27/7/18: Day 3*
(All weights in kgs)

DB bench press:
Target weight: 34kg; Target Reps: 40; Exercise type: Strength.
10x24’s, 8x26’s, 7x28’s, 6x30’s, 6x32’s, 4x34’s = 41 reps.
*These flew up. I reached 34kgs last week and I’ll be making my target 36 next time. The reps target is probably about right.

Chest press:
Target weight: 90kg; Target Reps: 40; Exercise type: Strength.
12x80, 10x90, 7x95, 5x100, 6x105 = 40 reps.
*I thought it was rather ambitious of me to set my weight target to 90kgs today as a maximum of 80 has been quite a sticking point on the chest press for some time. In the event, and to my immense surprise I ended up with a mega-whopping 105kg for the final set. How on earth that happened I have no idea, but who’s complaining. What the hell… it’s got to be a target of 110kg next week methinks!

Tricep bar raise, flat bench, back of head/up:
Target weight: ?kg; Target Reps: ?; Exercise type: Strength.
12x28, 10x33, 8x38 = 30 reps
*You’ll notice the absence of targets for this as I haven’t done this exercise in ages. I noticed one of the lads on the bodybuilding forum I have rejoined was doing these this week and I have decided to include it. In the event I stayed safe with a relatively light bar throughout but I now have a couple of goals to work on for next week.

DB curl, standing, alt. (across chest):
Target weight: 18kg; Target Reps: 24; Exercise type: Supplementary.
6x14, 6x14, 6x16, 6x18 = 24 reps.
*Basic standing curls with elbow cupped with other hand, lifting across chest to opposite shoulder, swapping hands. This is great for the outer biceps. No rest between sets apart from changing the dumbbell. Start on 16kg next time.

Barbell curl, seated, 60° bench:
Target weight: 25kg; Target Reps: 30; Exercise type: Warm-up.
15x30, 12x30, 10x30, 10x30 = 47 reps.
*This is basically a warm-up for the rest of today’s training which is mainly bicep work. Notice the targets were set quite low and I exceeded those easily beginning with the 30kg bar instead of the 25, although it’s not meant to be a strength exercise as such. That is to be carried out on the E-Z bar shortly afterward.

Barbell forearm reverse curl, standing:
Target weight: 20-10kg; Target Reps: 36; Exercise type: Reverse sets.
12x20, 12x15, 12x10 – 36 reps.
*Just an additional movement I like to do to as an isolation exercise for the forearms.

E-Z preacher curl, close grip, low vertical pull:
Target weight: 55kg+; Target Reps: 36; Exercise type: Strength.
12x40.5, 10x45.5, 6x50.5, 5x58, 3x60.5 = 36 reps.
*Reps are not the factor here as it’s all to do with how heavy my biceps can go. In the event I surpassed my expectations once more with a post-60kg lift but having to pause for at least three seconds on the last rep. Those guns were certainly complaining!

Downward pull cable curl:
Target weight: 35kg; Target Reps: 30; Exercise type: Strength.
12x30, 12x30, 6x35, 6x35 = 36 reps.
*Straightforward sets, crossing over hands slightly pulling down to the waist.

High pull ‘double’ bicep cable curl:
Target weight: 40kg; Target Reps: 36; Exercise type: Strength.
15x25, 12x30, 10x35, 8x40, 3x45 = 48 reps.
*Easily surpassing my targets with this. It’s slightly unsettling when I can pull more with the biceps than the chest muscles though.

Single DB press, lying flat bench, hands interlocked around inner top end, pushing upwards:
Target weight: 50kg; Target Reps: 100; Exercise type: Strength (high reps).
40x50, 30x50, 20x50, 10x50 = 100 reps.
The “Floydy Press” no less. 50kg is the heaviest dumbbell in the gym but I’d like to lift more. The only thing to do is increase the sets and/or reps for future lifts, although I was pretty pleased doing those amount of reps for the first two sets.
To this day I’ve never seen anyone perform this exercise which is odd because it’s immense for the triceps. Oh the ignorance of it all!!

Tricep pushdowns, standing, v-bar:
Target weight: 20-10kg; Target Reps: 75; Exercise type: High reps (reverse set).
25x20, 25x15, 25x10
No particular reason or goal to increase anything with this. It’s intended as a final quick blast on a very light weight, as is the next exercise.

Bicep stack curls, standing, straight bar:
Target weight: 20-10kg; Target Reps: 75; Exercise type: High reps (reverse set).
25x20, 25x15, 25x10
*Same reps and weight as pushdowns above.

Time: 1hr. 45mins.

That went extremely well. I felt very strong with plenty of energy this afternoon, even taking into account that in five days I have completed four sessions – something I haven’t felt like doing in a long, long time. Yes, I have more time due to no school run anymore, but the heat should be a factor and it doesn’t seem to bother me even though I’m sweating like a pig in there.

My next session will be legs on Sunday, although the way I’m feeling I may even do those tomorrow morning instead as I’m lovin’ every minute of this!

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I do love reading about your adventures, Bob. getting soaked to the skin was always on the cards this morning and although that was probably very refreshing in itself, I'd have been more worried about getting hit by lightning I think.
Great to hear that you're fully back into it now though.

Anyway, a wonderful description there, Bob. I do wish I could make my own exercise routines more interesting. Alas, my surroundings are sadly just a picture of sweaty folks behaving madly around pieces of ugly metal and vinyl cushions.
Don't do yourself down Floydy, I always look forward to reading your posts and sometimes end up with aching muscles just reading them.....
Keep Em' coming.....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Annie your post has made me feel so guilty!
I used to swim sort of regularly, even managed 36 lengths last time, but this heatwave has sapped my energy and made me feel so washed out I haven't been for weeksc
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-07-2018, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Don't do yourself down Floydy, I always look forward to reading your posts and sometimes end up with aching muscles just reading them.....
Keep Em' coming.....
Thanks Bob. I must say this last workout and it's template took longer to write up than the actual session.

Page 181 of 370 « First < 81 131 171 179 180 181 182 183 191 231 281 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top