Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 05:02 PM

Water Butt

Or not in my case. I couldn't fathom out why it had stopped filling so decided to investigate having never really looked since we have been here as it worked in the past

so I decided fix it or scrap it. First having got the steps out the gutter was chock a block not only with tree debris but those fine bits of dirt.
So out with the Skyvac and gutter cleaned but the protector cone over the downpipe , well it didn't for those small bits.
The down pipe was clogged up as well, so another sktvac cleaning job.

Erm it was worse than that, Oh yes, eventually I took the whole thing apart, even took down the water butt.

The part that deflected the water into the butt (in the downpipe) was clogged up so a hose job to clean it. Then that flexible hose to the butt itself was also clogged up and needed a rod down it to clear then hose job to wash it through
OK now everything cleaned and washed out, even the butt while it was down. now for reassembly and test

Yippee poured into gutter and watched it go into the water butt, job done
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

05-08-2018, 06:32 PM

Re: Water Butt

Good job

If you build a shelf underneath the butt along where the tap is and low enough to get your watering cans on you can fill them up without leaning down
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
Good job

If you build a shelf underneath the butt along where the tap is and low enough to get your watering cans on you can fill them up without leaning down
the picture shows it already on a platform
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

05-08-2018, 06:43 PM

Yes I see its placed on a stand, maybe its the way I'm looking at the picture. I can see the tap and a piece of hosepipe. But I thought make a shelf that comes out from the stand so you can put watering can on.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

05-08-2018, 07:17 PM

no I have attached a longish hose to the outlet so the watering can sits on the floor when being filled. Has to be turned that was because of the feed hose

Notice I also managed to fit in a store plastic shed 30 inches wide in a very small space which fits perfectly. Took some finding to get one to fit
this and a bit of room behind the greenhouse to stand things on those red slabs I laid
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

05-08-2018, 08:02 PM

You just need some rain now
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

05-08-2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
You just need some rain now
Please explain what rain is I have forgotten
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 08:10 PM

I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that after a heavy downpour, the butt was only half full, so had to do the same, a good clean out. I found plenty of leaves clogging it up. The nest time it rained, it filled to the top.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 03:41 AM

Why does it need to be positioned it right up there, Realspeed? No wonder it's full of gunge and tree parts.

Mine is on its plastic stand about a foot off the ground. I extended the guttering at one end to divert rain water directly into the water butt through a hole i made in the lid. No other gunk gets in apart from what may travel down with the water from the gutter. Once a year I empty it and wash it out.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-08-2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Why does it need to be positioned it right up there, Realspeed? No wonder it's full of gunge and tree parts.

Mine is on its plastic stand about a foot off the ground. I extended the guttering at one end to divert rain water directly into the water butt through a hole i made in the lid. No other gunk gets in apart from what may travel down with the water from the gutter. Once a year I empty it and wash it out.
Ask the previous owner who put it there, it does have a lid on it but the dirt still washes in via the gutter.
As you can see it all fits in nicely behind the greenhouse in a relatively small area

Everything in that area was carefully planned and laid out first

Once the old log store was out of the way and the site cleared only then did I know if i could even get a greenhouse
in that area

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top