Join for free
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:34 PM

Do you agree ?

“Between 2014 and 2017, Network Rail awarded contracts worth tens of millions of pounds to companies outside of the UK, while the NHS awarded contracts worth over a billion..................In the same period, the Ministry of Defence awarded contracts elsewhere worth over £1.5 billion pounds, even though we are under no obligation, under either European or international law, to open up defence contracts to overseas bidders......................A lack of support for manufacturing is sucking the dynamism out of our economy, pay from the pockets of our workers and any hope of secure well-paid jobs from a generation of our young people."
Sounds reasonable to me, I'm no economist though.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:01 PM

Re: Do you agree ?

I agree it seems a travesty and as much as I would also love to see all public contracts being awarded to British businesses, it would just be protectionism and the thin end of the wedge, a bit like Trump's "America First" policy. It is all very well and good being protectionist until other countries retaliate, and suddenly British companies cannot export their expertise or sell their goods abroad either. I think we have to decide whether we want to trade with the rest of the world or not, very rarely is that a one way street although I do think that contracts where national security is involved should definitely be kept in house....
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:07 PM

spot on barry - spot on - we are now a global entity and can no longer just be an island onto ourselves whether UK or OZ!
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 02:19 PM

Mean while the industrial expertise in this country goes to waste ?

France builds our railway stock while we close factories ?
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Mean while the industrial expertise in this country goes to waste ?

France builds our railway stock while we close factories ?
Probably Bombardier couldn't handle it if they had a full order book

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/new...r-lands-637687
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 12:05 PM

Employers seek to recruit from abroad because they claim they are unable to find suitably qualified applicants from UK.

Why can't we make anything, or provide the training needed for manufacturing, building industry.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 12:07 PM

It is obvious, at least to me, those contracts are awarded to those companies by people with shares in them.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
It is obvious, at least to me, those contracts are awarded to those companies by people with shares in them.
Haemorrhaging money into the pockets of private shareholder that figures.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Haemorrhaging money into the pockets of private shareholder that figures.
But of course most big shareholders are institutions such as savings and pension funds, which benefit millions....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top