Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 12:51 PM

should I shouldn't I move house dilemma

I've been restless for a year now . I've lived here for 14 yrs in this house and 35 yrsin total . I don't see much of my kids I'm on the perifial of their life's and have no family here . I have a small handful of friends but not dependant on anyone . In fact I spend 99 % of time by myself .

Im thinking of moving to Glastonbury , I love it's wacky ways and people and atmosphere .

My dilemma as well as feeling the fear and doing it anyway is , shall I sell my house and rent an over 55 apartment or shall I buy . If I rent I'll have loads of cash in bank for holidays etc , using my state pension and savings to pay rent etc.

If I buy I've little in the bank and also the maintenance charges , ground rent etc etc is quite high , one place was
2800 per year ground rent and maintenance so it would soon suck up what but I've got now .

I'm in a quandary . I'm having my house price quoted next week but swaying between yes and no .

Of course it's my decision , it would be a new life new experience , I'm scared , cause I'm a coward but there is a pull going on saying time for change .

Thought I'd ask you all your thoughts

Thankyou x
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Re: should I shouldn't I move house dilemma

susan, I would move, if you are restless then go for it.
You may regret it if you leave it too long.
I would sell, then rent, have fun and spoil yourself.
That is my input. x
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 12:57 PM

Yes, if you are restless then a move is a good idea.

But do your research and rent. There can be little worse than owning property and not wanting to live there anymore, especially if it leaves you with little in the bank.
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

03-08-2018, 01:01 PM

It sounds as though you do need to move. Whether to rent or buy is down to your own priorities - security of cash in the bank versus insecurity of renting.I'm planning a move too but finding somewhere to rent with a dog in tow is nigh on impossible where I want to be so will be buying. As I have no family to leave things to I may eventually opt for equity release on my next home if I live long enough to need it.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 01:09 PM

Another option would be to put your own house up for rent, instead of selling it.
The rent you receive for your own house could be used to cover renting an apartment in Glastonbury but give you the freedom to move somewhere else if it doesn't suit you or move back to your old home if you change your mind.

A lot depends on the current property market in your area and whether the sales market is buoyant or if the rental market is more viable.
May be worth chatting to a few estate agents.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Yes, if you are restless then a move is a good idea.

But do your research and rent. There can be little worse than owning property and not wanting to live there anymore, especially if it leaves you with little in the bank.
I have never ever read such bad advice. renting is always paying out with zero return. I am absolutely shocked that anyone on here should even suggest it

Best to buy if able to afford it, so the investment in a house will increase and if necessary give you capital you can fall back on

if we had followed This extremely bad advice by Ffosse we would now be struggling to live

The house we now live in and own has gone up in value by at least £125,000 ( up24 percent) the 4 years we have been here, best investment one can make
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 01:49 PM

I suppose it depends on the main reason why You want to move Susan...there are no guarantees You will meet/make new Friends where You go,and as for renting Your existing house remember You will be responsible for repairs etc' on it...good luck with Your decision though as it's a big one at any age.x
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 01:56 PM

i understood she wanted to move and rent the new property not rent out her existing one. She did say sell her existing one
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
i understood she wanted to move and rent the new property not rent out her existing one
Boot suggested it as another option.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-08-2018, 02:02 PM

lets put it this way, I was left another house in cornwall, so sought not only legal advise and from local estate agents. Their advice was to sell if your going to move and then their are no future expenses on the place your leaving. get a bad tenant in and you are asking for all sorts of trouble and problems.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top