Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 08:19 AM

Re: Do you have a favourite soap?

We use anti-bac liquids for our hands, and a shower gel when having our daily ablutions.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 08:24 AM

I like Dove for it's rich lather.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I looked for good natural soaps that didn't contain harmful nasty ingredients to make washing powder. I was somewhat stunned to find that most well known brands, including those you mention are all bad, even Dove !

It's actually very hard to find a soap with only good natural ingredients but you can find them here:

https://www.faithinnature.co.uk/depa...type=Soap+bars

The problem with all mainstream soap bars are the range of bad ingredients which will damage your health. The top 7 of those are:

1. Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate (SLS/SLES)
2. Dioxane
3. Parabens
4. Propylene glycol
5. Diethanolamine or DEA
6. Toluene
7. Triclosan

I would also avoid Talc, it is very unhealthy and Tetrasodium EDTA is a chelating agent that is made from formaldehyde and sodium cyanide.

Here are the ingredients in your favourite soaps. I'll highlight the baddies in bold.

Imperial Leather

Ingredients

Sodium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Talc, Glycerin, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Coumarin, Eugenol, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, CI 77891, CI 77220, CI 11680, CI 71105, CI 74260, CI 12490

Pears Transparent Soap

Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Sorbitol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Rosinate, Glycerin, Sodium Palmate, Sodium Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, PEG-4, Sodium Laurate, Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Metabisulfite, Sodium Sulfate, Parfum (Perfume), Tetrasodium Etidronate, Lauryl Alcohol, Tetrasodium EDTA, BHT, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Eugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Linalyl Acetate, CI 12490, CI 47005

Dove White Beauty Bar

Ingredients

Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Palmitate, Lauric Acid, Aqua, Sodium Isethionate, Sodium Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Sodium chloride, Zinc Oxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Alumina, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl alcohol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, CI 77891

and so it goes on.

Interesting isn't it how powerful media advertising makes people think these soaps are all nice great luxury or "kind" products. They are very far from it imho.

The Faith In Nature products are all natural ingredients.

As I said. I make my own washing powder these days because the mainstream powder manufacturers changed their formulas to badly alkalinic ones which irritate and burn your skin.

A £1 bag of soap crystals plus 4 bars of grated Faith In Nature soap bars (2 rosemary, 2 lavender) make for a good batch of washing powder that is cheap, natural and not harmful.
I.m so glad I read this, I m going to buy some of that faith in nature soap as my husband has dreadful skin allergies. I will also try the homemade washing powder Thank you for this realist.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 08:27 AM

Mr M uses Wrights Coal Tar .
It's smells lovely .
Probaby full of everything bad.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Mr M uses Wrights Coal Tar .
It's smells lovely .
Probaby full of everything bad.
Haven't seen that about for ages, Muddy. I love the smell - so fresh!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:34 AM

I love Dove Shower Gel and use it every day after my swim. I use bottles of Simple Anti Bacterial in the toilet and kitchen.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:37 AM

For my face I use Facial Wash (soap's too drying).

For my body I use Sanex shower gel (for baths and showers).

I use Dove bar soap to lather anything that needs shaving.

And my hands get either a liquid soap or more often, washing up liquid (I tend to get a bit dirty).
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:57 AM

It's Simple soap for me too.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 11:58 AM

I dont use bar soap at all preferring to use Sanex sensitive
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I.m so glad I read this, I m going to buy some of that faith in nature soap as my husband has dreadful skin allergies. I will also try the homemade washing powder Thank you for this realist.
You're welcome LQ

It's kinda scary really that so much of what we take for granted is in fact harmful to us. It's hard but there's a need to start re-evaluating just about anything and everything we subject our bodies to.

Food, drink, soaps, gels, shampoos, deodorants, sun creams, cosmetics and so on.

Deodorants are a big one. Pretty much 99% of them are really bad, containing Aluminium or related compounds (Alum this and that). Check the ingredients next time you buy and you'll probably find there is not a single one on the supermarket shelf without these bad compounds which people are lathering their armpits with day in day out.
And even in that industry there are con merchants now producing and advertising deodorants with Aluminium in crystal form which they claim can not break through the skin barrier because of their size. They are wrong and I'm sure they know it.

A note to you and Silver Tabby, my original post has a mistake in it.

The washing powder is made with SODA crystals not soap crystals.

You can find bags of these in Tesco and other supermarkets where the washpowder is. Generally £1 a bag, green coloured, brand is DP (Dri-Pak), looks like this:

So it's one bag of SODA crystals mixed with 4 grated bars of Faith In Nature Soap

It's a chore grating the soap bars but worth it. I use a box microplaner like this:

Just be VERY careful with your fingers. When you get to that last little chunk of soap, throw it away, don't try to grate it. Cut myself so many times !

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top