Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 01:38 PM

Re: Does Barbecuing exit in UK?

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Not a fan of barbecues. Too much smell and smoke and the food is no better than food cooked in the kitchen, really. Often it's worse! I don't recall seeing (or smelling!) a barbecue in the area in maybe the last10 to 15 years.
move areas I'd say??
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 01:41 PM

If done well barbeques are a lovely thing but the majority to which I have been were poorly executed.

Many seem to think a barbeque is a bit of cheap poor quality meat speedily cooked to the point of burning.

A good barbeque to me is high quality marinaded meats, fish and vegetables carefully cooked over hot embers and served with a wide variety of salads, sauces and breads .
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
If done well barbeques are a lovely thing but the majority to which I have been were poorly executed.

Many seem to think a barbeque is a bit of cheap poor quality meat speedily cooked to the point of burning.

A good barbeque to me is high quality marinaded meats, fish and vegetables carefully cooked over hot embers and served with a wide variety of salads, sauces and breads .
well said Meg - absolutely! - do you wanna take the meat or the salads - I'll bring the wine?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 02:13 PM

We have family summer barbecues every year. Because we are such a huge family and all living locally, we tend to go to each other's every other weekend. Any excuse to get together for a chinwag and catch up.

I personally make life easy for He who must obey and myself as much as possible. When we first started doing barbecues I did tend to worry about the horrors one hears about barbecued food, especially food poisoning with undercooked food, thankfully that didn't happen even if the food offered tended to be over cooked to make sure. So with experience now of time-keeping and with the usual chicken drumsticks, burgers, hot dogs, sausage rolls, served with rice and 2 salads, I usually prepare them the night before (usually sticky or cajun chicken), cook them in the oven for 3/4 of the time, then take the still hot chicken out in a large tray tin for HWMO to finish off on the grill. I cook the jumbo sausages on the kitchen grill and take them out at the same time, the burgers can cook easily on the barbecue flat tray with loads of onions and I heat the already cooked mini sausage rolls 30 at a time in the kitchen oven for 10 minutes before plating them and taking them outside to be served with the other food.
Same with the vegetarian family members. I just whack 1/4 cabbage leaves in foil in the oven for 10 minutes until soft, roll them up and HWMO then browns them on the barbie to be served with sour cream or natural yoghurt. They seem to love them. Other family members have caught on how to do the food this way and more time is now spent enjoying ourselves. We love our barbecues and don't worry about the neighbours either side cos they always get an invite.

Of course, cold desserts and plenty to drink completes it.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

10-08-2018, 02:19 PM

We BBQ a lot. Yesterday had friends round and we bought chicken breasts made a slit and put in blue cheese then wrapped pieces of bacon round secured with cocktail sticks.
Asparagus, field mushrooms, Ratatouille and new potatoes. Then strawberries and blueberries. Everything cooked on charcoal BBQ and nothing burnt.

If its cooked properly its lovely and easy for entertaining.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

10-08-2018, 02:20 PM

God Shropshiregirl I do love your style and planning - I always love to stand back and let the ladies take over the BBQ whilst I have a beer!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

10-08-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
We BBQ a lot. Yesterday had friends round and we bought chicken breasts made a slit and put in blue cheese then wrapped pieces of bacon round secured with cocktail sticks.
Asparagus, field mushrooms, Ratatouille and new potatoes. Then strawberries and blueberries. Everything cooked on charcoal BBQ and nothing burnt.

If its cooked properly its lovely and easy for entertaining.
OMG Panda it's getting better - is HWMO involved in any of this?
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

10-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
OMG Panda it's getting better - is HWMO involved in any of this?
HWMO? Showing my ignorance here?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 02:25 PM

move areas I'd say??
Lol, no. Maybe it's because it's a heavily urbanised area with a high density population and there are no gardens. Barbecues seem more of a garden thing.

When the kids were young we lived in a housing estate with homes that had pretty big gardens but even then barbeques weren't common.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 02:28 PM

If so - or perhaps a new social encounter here are a few rules?

In OZ we just cook - T bones; snaggers and prawns - and the sheilas do the salad!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...t-messy?utm_so
Gumbod, I had to smile. the thought of serving T-Bone steaks to my hoards would bankrupt us!! I can only assume that meat such as Lamb or Steak must be very cheap over there. Unfortunately, the price of same here is extortionate!! you just would not believe the price of Beef and Lamb. I used to be able to buy 2 x Rib Eye steaks for £4 each, now they are over £6-£7 each. groan. Even 1/2 leg of Lamb now costs around £9/£10, a whole leg £20, a decent size beef joint is the same. (even minced steak is rising in price).

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top