Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 06:33 PM

Re: Avast free anti virus

I hope that you're wrong, although I also have Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Malwarebytes Anti-exploit and, of course, Windows Firewall.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2016, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
recently, I had to get my laptop repaired and the guy put me onto eset smart security. I did a free trial and my laptop performed better than it ever has. Even my internet connection has been stable. I have now downloaded for around £49 per year as it really does seem worth the cost.
I have been using Eset for many years but when the licence is due this year (I get the three year licence) I have been thinking of trying Bitdefender.

The only reason I am thinking of a change is that Bitdefender is supposed to be less resource heavy than Eset. Having said that I have found Eset to be excellent.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2016, 08:49 AM

A couple of popular security program comparison sites:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus...ws/windows-10/

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

Results can vary over the months but some programs come consistently near, or at, the top of the rankings. It's as well to take note of the 'false positive' figures as well. False positives (good files identified as bad ones by the AV program) can be the cause of problems too.

Some say these tests don't give a fair representation of an AV program's protection capabilities. However, I think they might be a good way to assess an AV program because they have had some malware thrown at them to see how well they protect. We end-users might hopefully never come across any malware to find out how good our choice of program is going to be if it comes to the crunch. Looking at the test results can be a way of finding out.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2016, 08:41 PM

Finally sorted!

As I'm not computer savvy, it was sheer luck that I found a Troubleshooter thing somewhere or other on the computer.
So I clicked where the Avast was listed.
It said Avast was 'incompatible'. It did it's bit and I saved the settings.
Looked up what it had done and it had changed Avast to Windows 8. So presumably it wasn't that before.

And to double my joy, the new hub arrived on Saturday - yay! the world at my fingertips again and I don't have to get the cranking handle out!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2016, 08:57 PM

I've used Avast since God's dog was a pup! It works well for me, I've compared other AV's and tried a few but none have been as good but I'd still check them out regularly in case they improve and are worth a try
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 02:28 PM

The computers and laptops I have had to fix lately the virus checker had been bypassed by users downloading and installing rogue programs. Malwarebytes would pick up the problems but the actual virus checker was ineffectual each time. I think the problems stem from people not paying much attention to the install process of these programs and allowing the downloads to install all sorts of crap such as toolbars and whatnot. Virus checkers will not give you any protection against such actions.

What I have noticed is if your virus checker fails to start, or takes ages to start, then there is a good chance your system has been compromised.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 04:21 PM

I have Kapersky, if its good enough for the Russians its good enough for me!
when you click on anything it takes you into a "Safe browsing/money/Paypal/ebay mode and blocks immediately anything it finds suspicious.
greymac
New Member!
United States
greymac is female 

04-05-2016, 03:42 PM

I've used most of the free av's out there. Finally settled on bitdefender for my older pc's since it seems faster and less intrusive than avast or avg. Use Eset on the new machines but still run malware bytes regularly since I surf a lot and pick up lots of adware.

Let us know what you finally decide on changing to.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top