Join for free
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 10:36 AM

Another step in the fight against polution.

The sale of coal and wood with a high water content is be banned this time next year. It is predicted to hit the 2,5 mil homes that have wood burning stoves or open hearth fires.

I see this as another very welcome step forward on the road of tackling man made global climate change but many people will probably find themselves left out in the cold (deliberate pun) and will have to find some form of replacement heating much as will a great many folk when all forms of open flame (gas) domestic heating is ended which is coming down the pike.

I remember the awful polution from coal fired that was once just accepted as 'one of those things' and the vast amount of air pollution from leaded petrol, both of which were addressed by compulsion and the huge advantages that followed.

Soon people will look at how we live today and wonder why on earth we do.

It's a changing world.

Thank goodness.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 11:08 AM

Re: Another step in the fight against polution.

I have never been comfortable when "Big Brother" attempts to tell me what I can or can not do within the confines of my own house. Frankly, I find it frightening.

When we stop to consider the huge amount of pollution that China and India, to name but two, are putting into the atmosphere, anything that a tiny country the size of the UK is doing amounts to nothing. . In other words, it's like a man being told to stop smoking a cigarette because it is polluting, when he is standing near a raging forest fire.

I have lived recently in southeast Asia for a number of years and I have seen first hand the hundreds of thousands of smoke belching vehicles. And now I'm told that Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public are not allowed to sit in front of their fireplace on a cold winter's night ? Ridiculous !

It's symbolism over substance.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The sale of coal and wood with a high water content is be banned this time next year. It is predicted to hit the 2,5 mil homes that have wood burning stoves or open hearth fires.

I see this as another very welcome step forward on the road of tackling man made global climate change but many people will probably find themselves left out in the cold (deliberate pun) and will have to find some form of replacement heating much as will a great many folk when all forms of open flame (gas) domestic heating is ended which is coming down the pike.

I remember the awful polution from coal fired that was once just accepted as 'one of those things' and the vast amount of air pollution from leaded petrol, both of which were addressed by compulsion and the huge advantages that followed.

It's a changing world.

Thank goodness.
... a good move.

But, I think you'll find we can still burn ordinary wood, that which has been seasoned, left to dry out a bit.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 11:45 AM

Hi

Complete Bollox.

Local Monitoring of Air Pollution was stopped by Government.

They withdrew the funding.

We now rely on a Formula which is rubbish.

Yet another example of big business ruling the roost.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
... a good move.

But, I think you'll find we can still burn ordinary wood, that which has been seasoned, left to dry out a bit.
That's correct and for a very good reason too.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

21-02-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Complete Bollox.

Local Monitoring of Air Pollution was stopped by Government.

They withdrew the funding.

We now rely on a Formula which is rubbish.

Yet another example of big business ruling the roost.
Funding was withdrawn after overwhelming evidence of the huge levels of air pollution created by vehicles, especially diesel powered and all that would have resulted would have been continuing polution, its presence having been proven.

This removal of exceptionally polluting fuels is from the pollution already taking place world wide.

EVERY reduction is desperately needed no matter where.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 06:38 PM

I doubt this will have any effect on a Worldwide scale but locally might eliminate some breathing problems.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

It's a changing world.

Thank goodness.
So, how do you heat your home .....

Have you got those storage heaters yet, ready for the cut-price electricity .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
So, how do you heat your home .....

Have you got those storage heaters yet, ready for the cut-price electricity .....
And you'll be knackered if there are any power cuts which there are very likely to be or using supplies that can't be guaranteed through so-called renewable sources.

What is the old aphorism? You don't put all of your eggs in one basket. If there are no alternative heating sources to supplement the electrical kind, everyone will be going back to log and coke burners which kind of defeats the object of the climate change brigade.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top