Join for free
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:05 AM

Smoking free county

Oxfordshire wants to become the uks first smoking free county.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18...e-free-county/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:15 AM

Re: Smoking free county

Glad I don't live there then.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:19 AM

I was thinking it might be nice
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Glad I don't live there then.
Exactly ! I'd move out of that county... fast.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 12:40 AM

It would be like Prohibition in the US or those "dry Sunday" Welsh counties .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 01:01 AM

They can't do it. Tobacco is not a banned substance. Wonder if they've done a poll to see how many smokers are in that county?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
They can't do it. Tobacco is not a banned substance. Wonder if they've done a poll to see how many smokers are in that county?
Approximately 10 per cent of the county’s population smokes regularly at the moment, which equates to approximately 54,804 people, according to the report.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 01:16 AM

As usual I can't read the article. So does it say smoking is banned everywhere - including one's private home?..Like not just in public?..If so I agree it won't work; not without a huge shitefight leastways. I'm a non smoker and I choose to ban smoking in my house. But there's a mini pergola with table and chairs up the back that people can go if they're desperate. I've even supplied ashtrays.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

22-02-2020, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
As usual I can't read the article. So does it say smoking is banned everywhere - including one's private home?..Like not just in public?..If so I agree it won't work; not without a huge shitefight leastways. I'm a non smoker and I choose to ban smoking in my house. But there's a mini pergola with table and chairs up the back that people can go if they're desperate. I've even supplied ashtrays.
First paragraphs:

At a meeting of Oxfordshire’s Health Improvement Partnership Board on Thursday, a plan to reduce the number of smokers in the county was discussed, as was the costs of the habit on the public purse.

According to data from the charity Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) smoking costs the Oxfordshire economy a total of £121.7m each year.

This includes spending on healthcare, workplace productivity, social care and house fires.

Ansaf Azhar, Oxfordshire County Council’s director of public health said the new plan, called the Oxfordshire Tobacco Control Strategy, represented a ‘step change’ in how smoking was treated in the county.

A report to the improvement board said the government had set a target to reduce the number of people smoking in the UK to five per cent of the population by 2030.

The board was told this would be considered a ‘smoke free’ society because smoking would be so rare.

The aim for Oxfordshire is to go further and become smoke free on the same guidelines by 2025, becoming the first county in England to do so.
So, a strategic plan was discussed but the method of implementation was not .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 02:15 AM

I don't know anyone who smokes these days. We all used to but we have all given up. So I don't see the point of this. It's no longer socially acceptable and it's prohibitively expensive. Even vaping is less common. I'm sure people smoke in countries where it hasn't been banned by stealth. I've watched someone die from COPD caused by smoking and someone else I know is in the same situation. It's agonising and preventable if you stop early enough.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top