Join for free
Page 7 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 10:48 PM

Re: Smoking free county

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Okay, at the risk of being lynched on here.
As an ex-smoker, maybe my thinking is outdated, but I truly believe that there should be less of a patronising attitude by non-smokers towards smokers. As someone said, smoking is not illegal, so no-one has the right to say it shouldn't be allowed.
I am not going to lynch you Shrops but I have never noticed a patronising attitude by non smokers quite the contrary I don’t know any non smokers who have this attitude they are too relieved that they have no longer to put up with smoking at last .
I think a lot has been achieved to eradicate the danger from passive smoking such as banning it in every public building and children's outdoor spaces. Even beaches. That is a good thing. Even smokers don't mind and accept that it is the law and must be obeyed (granted, they don't like standing outside in all weathers to have their smoke).but remember, even smokers want to protect children or not have smoke blown at them while they are eating a meal in a restaurant.
Shrops I beg to disagree .
You only have to go to any public park to see mothers smoking while they push push chairs containing their own children
Cigarette butts abound in most parks .

But to stigmatize a smoker as someone not fit to walk this earth as comments have always done whenever this topic comes up, is frankly rude and unkind to law-abiding, respectful people who happen to smoke.
No one has said they are not fit to walk this Earth .
It would however be better for them the earth and everyone else if they walked it without smoking .

Most of them follow the rules and are respectful in their smoking habit towards non-smokers. They have been left with only the fresh air outside to smoke, and smoke they do.
This is funny .
Thereby making the fresh air anything but fresh !

If it is the misfortune that non-smokers happen to be in the vicinity of that smoker, Tough, smokers have learned to live with all the anti-smoking laws so maybe it is time for non-smokers to learn to be more tolerant and respectful in their attitude towards smokers. If it is their misfortune to come across a smoker, instead of the glaring look of disapproval (which you have absolutely no right to give) why don't you try using a bit of decorum, and just walk away and leave them alone to enjoy their cigarette.
Regardless of how you feel about smoking and smokers, stop treating them like lepers.
If it were that easy fine .
Perhaps you are sat on a park bench minding your own bussiness and a smoker sits down and lights up next to you.
She / he doesn’t ask if he can invade your space with his noxious fumes .
You see not all smokers are considerate and respectful and have no trouble making other people uncomfortable.
As do those who cluster in pub doorways making non smokers run a gauntlet of smoke prior to entrance .
The non smokers even though they are not harming anyone don’t have a choice ,
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't think smoking at bus shelters should be allowed. There are many older and vulnerable people forced to use buses and they could be affected by inhaling smoke because of chronic health conditions. They will be trapped sitting down because they may have mobility issues. So IMO it's not fair whether or not there are open sides to a shelter.

I smoked on and off until 2002. I am so grateful for the ban because for a few years after giving up even inhaling passing smoke would make me feel unwell. I am lucky that I haven't yet developed COPD because I was terribly hooked on the evil weed. My GP thinks that means I won't get it but I know people who still developed it after decades of non-smoking. Giving up was the most difficult thing that I have ever done. It's great for our young people that we now have a non smoking culture. I think we were all conned when young to think it was glamorous and sophisticated. It's taken years for my poor lungs to recover. But at the time it was so enjoyable until I realised that I was a slave to nicotine. It's big business around the world so understandable that we still have access to this nasty stuff. It's all about $$$
An excellent post Annie.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 10:58 PM

This is about folks in general, presumably, not about specifics.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good post Gasman, and I seriously doubt those statistics that they have printed in the link.

According to data from the charity Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) smoking costs the Oxfordshire economy a total of £121.7m each year.

Approximately 10 per cent of the county’s population smokes regularly at the moment, which equates to approximately 54,804 people, according to the report.
Why doubt the facts? Why does Oxfordshire's economy cost £121.7 million each year? Treating smokers?
Perhaps you should look here:
https://insight.oxfordshire.gov.uk/c...h1_Summary.pdf
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I am not going to lynch you Shrops but I have never noticed a patronising attitude by non smokers quite the contrary I don’t know any non smokers who have this attitude they are too relieved that they have no longer to put up with smoking at last .

Shrops I beg to disagree .
You only have to go to any public park to see mothers smoking while they push push chairs containing their own children

It would however be better for them the earth and everyone else if they walked it without smoking .

This is funny .
Thereby making the fresh air anything but fresh !

Perhaps you are sat on a park bench minding your own bussiness and a smoker sits down and lights up next to you.
You see not all smokers are considerate and respectful and have no trouble making other people uncomfortable.
As do those who cluster in pub doorways making non smokers run a gauntlet of smoke prior to entrance .
The non smokers even though they are not harming anyone don’t have a choice ,
[QUOTE=Muddy;1861831]I am not going to lynch you Shrops but I have never noticed a patronising attitude by non smokers quite the contrary I don’t know any non smokers who have this attitude they are too relieved that they have no longer to put up with smoking at last .
You have never noticed a patronising attitude of non smokers - cobblers.
[B]Shrops I beg to disagree .
Not only mothers - however, who are you or anyone else to dictate on peoples life styles, even though it isn't pleasant for the children. Cigarette butts on the floor are abhorrent, then again, so is the abundance of plastic take-away containers etc disposed of everywhere.

You are entitled to your your thoughts and thank you. Wouldn't it be nice if you could spend the hard earned money in the NHS educating the obese indigenous population how to live a better life without eating crap food and drink. That could potentially save millions.
The non smokers even though they are not harming anyone don’t have a choice

He or she doesn't have to ask if they can invade your space - it is in an open space. Having said that, I would respect others in that space.
I don't know what pubs you frequent, but most smokers that I know, do not hang around pub doorways.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

24-02-2020, 04:15 AM

I have never noticed any patronising attitude from non smokers
Why would I say this were it not true ?
It’s not something I generally discuss because this issue rarely arises anymore .
I have no idea what you consider patronising
I drive my own car so don’t use bus stops
The trains thank goodness are now smoke free but I hardly use these any more .
In the past I was obliged to put up with smokers everywhere .
Now thankfully that is a thing of the past .

Smokers are not the only people to frequent public parks .
Children and people with dogs also do so .
Cigarette butts are poisonous to each of these .
Toddlers tend to pick up stuff and put it into their mouths .
While plastic waste is also objectionable is not the point of discussion here .
Two wrongs don’t make a right .

Re obese people .
As someone else has already mentioned .
The obese people are hurting only themselves .
They are not force feeding anyone else .

Re the park bench .
Anyone can sit on a park bench but if they start up smoking they are like it or not invading the other persons air space .
They are making them uncomfortable and potentially doing them harm .
The smell of cigarette smoke is so noxious it pervades everywhere .
There is a reason why soldiers are not allowed to smoke while in action in jungle warfare . The smell of cigarettes can be detected from a fair distance .

Gasman loads of people can be seen smoking outside of pub doors especially in cities where there are no gardens or it’s raining .
Where else are they going to smoke ?
Some have sheltered outdoor smoking areas but I can think of only one that I know.
Worse than pubs are public hospitals ( again someone has already mentioned this and it’s true ) they are quite literally strewn with cigarette butts and crowded with people - some in dressing gowns smoking .
Usually in front of the signs that says No Smoking .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

24-02-2020, 04:32 AM

To continue the theme of cigarette butts .
I do think that parks and beaches should be cigarette free as where there are cigarettes there are butts .
Not only are they unsightly, they are slow to decompose ,expensive and unpleasant to clean up and butts are poisonous as before mentioned .
They are not even mildly toxic they are a seriously poisonous form of litter .
When they are wet they make a lethal nicotine soup which is washed in to waterways and ends up in ponds and the sea where they are extremely toxic to fish and other marine life .
Parks are supposed to promote healthy outdoor activity suitable for young and old allowing people to smoke in them is doing exactly the opposite .

This survey done four years ago showed that most people prefer that parks should be smoking free.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...nmental-health
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 07:53 AM

Its time for a bit of hard research, I am out and about today for a few hours, I'll make a point of smoker spotting and report back.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Al of this anti-smoking talk, but no one seems to notice that nasty real perfume that some women seen to practically bathe in. Every time I get one whiff of real perfume I get a violent headache which lasts for hours.

And, while we are complaining, I suggest that people should really come down hard on drunk drivers. Thousands of lives are lost every single year, including little children, because of drunk drivers. I can't help but wonder how often members of the anti-smoker brigade drives alcohol impaired ? Hmm ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 10:51 AM

Hi

Simple fact of life.

Smokers pay more in Tax than it costs the NHS.

Stop smoking and your Tax goes up.

To save money, Tax Diabetes.

Greggs, Dominoes, KFC should be subject to the same Taxation Levels as Tobacco.

Page 7 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top