Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 01:18 AM

Re: Diamond Princess

I hope that's true about the virus being able to live only 24 hours without a host. Just the same, there is no possible way I'd ever get on a cruise ship.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I hope that's true about the virus being able to live only 24 hours without a host. Just the same, there is no possible way I'd ever get on a cruise ship.
I felt exactly the same. No way would you ever get me on one, I was the most anti cruise person you could wish to meet initially.

Then again i did not want to go on holiday and get stuck in a hotel when its raining and get bored to death.

Now me .I can't swim, so I thought to myself a river cruise??. at least i am not stuck in one place, so we booked a trip up the River Nile. Hey this is a bit of fun and not as bad as I thought, had a great time with staff and other guests.Well at least the river banks are close

This really got me seriously thinking about about a med. cruise where it would be warm as well

OK gulp, we booked one, our first "big" cruise. Completely different from my expectations, just like a huge hotel with food and entertainment included
This was on Royal Caribbean ship Splendour of the Seas
Even a rock and roll night by the entertainment crew. Not allowed to video main stage entertainment

WEll that got me hooked and wanting more, so now try and stop me havikng a cruise of one sort or another . Getting to see other countries and their traditions and food etc is wedll worth it

AS for bangs for bucks you get far more on a cruise ship than any hotel can offer.

Like they say don't knock it until you try it, I did and it completely changed my mind

on the Princess

well at least they tried and a great atmospher as well, at least it was all in good fun

or watching dancers, and its free to watch on another ship

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 11:16 AM

What recent experience has shown is that it's not the quality of the accommodation, or the entertainment, which is most important.

It's might be down to who is handling the food, down in the Galley, before it gets up there to the Saloons.

Just one less than scrupulous "disher-upper", down there, could affect a huge number of passengers.

Whilst all of the passengers are confined to their cabins, the food is still being delivered, to all and sundry, from the galley.

Footnote: Look on the stern of the ship to see where it is registered.

It may not be accidental that it is not registered in a country where there are no Health & Safety laws, no Employment Ts & Cs.

There are few, if any, ships registered in the UK.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 12:19 PM

It does look fantastic . I know I would love it too .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 12:21 PM

It is more than likely it was a passenger that bought the virus onboard than what you are suggesting Tedc. I have witness personally how strict they are with anything dealing with food. Considering how many passengers board thei ship from that part of the world and how ignorant many actually are I am not surprised that the virus broke out.

I have been on quite a few cruise liners and the standard P&O set if way above the others (the Princess line is part of the same overall company)
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
It is more than likely it was a passenger that bought the virus onboard than what you are suggesting Tedc. I have witness personally how strict they are with anything dealing with food. Considering how many passengers board thei ship from that part of the world and how ignorant many actually are I am not surprised that the virus broke out.

I have been on quite a few cruise liners and the standard P&O set if way above the others (the Princess line is part of the same overall company)
Not for me RS, I go on holiday to get away from humanity, not drag
them around with me?
Maybe lm odd?
Donkeyman!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 12:42 PM

Cruise ships are my idea of Hell .....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

24-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Susan you would love it. No end of single ladies go cruising and meet up with likewise people. It is not just the cruising and port visiting but what takes place on board with all sorts of demonstrations on a lot of subject, as well as talks by professionals. You can also find quite areas such as the library if that is your want.

Jack and the beanstalk great ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAAAKOq1DkQ&t=40s

Omah and Donkeyman

A typical response for those who have not done a cruise. they have no concept of what cruising is all about

presumably they don't go out for meals or to a pub either as they don't like being with others.

What they don't realise that you can do your own thing when in port, not go with an organised group although you would miss a lot of local history.

i suspect you think it is like Butlins and Hi de Hi, well you could not be further from the truth. I don't understand why so against when never been on one, beats me.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

In the two weeks, or so, incubation time the vessel could have had large numbers of passenger changes, crew changes, people going ashore and coming back in various ports in the China Sea.

So, the thing to look at, surely, is how the virus gets spread once it arrives on board.

Think, food, air conditioning, carriers (people).

The act of shutting everyone up, in their cabins, etc., whilst food and drink would be delivered around the ship, (by people carrying the virus?)would appear to be not the best plan.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 03:36 PM

Another good reason to avoid cruises.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top