Join for free
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Train Journey of a lifetime

Way back in 2007 I wrote this, why I don't know, I think maybe I was asked a question about our destiny.
I thought it would be a good subject to discuss.

The Train Journey Of a Lifetime

When we are born, it’s the start of a journey, the journey of life down here on the earth plain.
Let’s consider this as a journey, we buy a ticket, ticket to where you may ask, well it’s the ticket to the future, we hope a very long journey through life.
Then again it could be a day trip or a week or two so we must enjoy the time we have here.
We seem to come here with a blank mind so we have to fill it with knowledge.

Our first stop on the journey is spent being taught the rudiments by our parents. At this stop we are taught to walk, talk properly, to count and read, to use manners properly, to have respect and we are taught to love, and to pray to God.
We take up to a six years of infant and junior schooling, these years we are taught how to get through life with a the knowledge of more writing and more talking. Taking in many subjects, and each one giving us the idea how and what we like to do for our future, and if it’s a good school, to pray more to God.

At the second stop in our journey the train stops at the choice of school that we have chosen. That stop could be a comprehensive school journey, or a grammar school or maybe a public school. But it doesn’t matter which journey we are all going to take, we are all going to end up at the same terminus. You spend five to eight years learning more about the knowledge of life in general preparing us for the next important stop.

At the third stop we have to make up our minds which station we are going to stop at next.. Perhaps we choose to take the train to university or maybe into a manual employment, or a sales or office employment, or maybe choosing the church. Which ever we choose it is imperative we enjoy our chosen employment that we will be undertaking for the next fifty years.

Now if we have been very lucky we will now come to our fourth stop in our very long journey the journey of retirement, enjoyment and fulfilment, sadly for some it could be a journey of ill-health, because our bodies have suffered wear and tear through stage three of our lives. But we carry on enjoying the time doing the things that please us most, till the journey of life is nearly over and we will reach the terminus. This is where the ticket runs out, we have had a long journey hopefully a very stable and enjoyable one.

We hand over our well used ticket at the gate, those Pearly Gates that you have discussed through your long journey through life. We are let in to the unknown, the unknown start of another journey, we are here, here where you have hoped you would be. Now what ????????

Tell me how your journey is going.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 05:45 PM

Re: Train Journey of a lifetime

I think mine`s more of a ramble than an organised journey tbh. Periods of inaction interspersed by crises, joy, pain and elation. I`ve never been one for a straight road - you have so much more fun off piste.....
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I think mine`s more of a ramble than an organised journey tbh. Periods of inaction interspersed by crises, joy, pain and elation. I`ve never been one for a straight road - you have so much more fun off piste.....
Love your answer I'm not very good at explaining but that's pretty much my life. A journey of bumpy roads, sometimes a never ending cirle, sometimes quite straight for a while.
I haven't a destination though...unless it is the wicker casket in the woodland where I'm going to be buried .
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 08:54 AM

Life is not that straight forward after the second stop Wrinkly , up to then we have been guided by others from now on it is very much a suck it and see adventure.

We make our choices rightly or wrongly and live with them.

People are lucky enough (Iinclude myself) to change the choice that they make. I have made wrong choices and quickly corrected them but others who are not so minded live with what they have.

Now in the twilight of my life I look back and the only change I would make would be to marry my wife earlier.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 10:04 AM

AB said :---Now in the twilight of my life I look back and the only change I would make would be to marry my wife earlier.

I agree, I would have got married at 10 am instead of 1pm.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 05:44 PM

A nice thought Arthur but like Claire mine has been more of a ramble than a journey with lots of meandering down little roads getting lost and trying to find my way.

At journey's end no pearly gates for me , that is the stuff of fairy tales. I will have endless sleep in my meadow surrounded by wild flowers and trees at the foot of the hills where I made my last home.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

04-02-2012, 06:02 PM

Meg said : ----At journey's end no pearly gates for me , that is the stuff of fairy tales.

That is the point Meg, no one knows for sure!
I think we have a soul and it goes on, but if I am wrong it doesn't matter, but just in case I want to believe.
But one thing for sure we all end up at the same place, a cardboard/wooden box.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Meg said : ----At journey's end no pearly gates for me , that is the stuff of fairy tales.

That is the point Meg, no one knows for sure!
I think we have a soul and it goes on, but if I am wrong it doesn't matter, but just in case I want to believe.
But one thing for sure we all end up at the same place, a cardboard/wooden box.
You are bang on there Arthur, we all end up in a box, rich and poor, winners and losers, and the sooner everybody grasps that hard fact the sooner we will all respect each other and learn to live in peace. When your number comes up, you go, and all the success and money can't prevent it happening.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top