Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Re: Dogs - sheesh!

Originally Posted by dogmad ->
"If a dog "saved" his mistress or elderley owner from violent thugs, would it still be considered aggressive then? "

An interesting observation, Mups

The owner would probably be sued by the thugs - and the dog killed by the "authorities" as being "dangerous" !

It's been said that "in the 70s, it was the Alsations/GSDs. In the 80's the Dobermans. In the 90s, it was the Rotweillers, then it was the "bull" breeds. When will it be identified/recognised/accepted that it's the people" !
Couldn't agree more Dogmad.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 06:07 PM

Shouldn't the title be sheeesh some dog owners, usually the problems at the other end of the lead I have always found.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Shouldn't the title be sheeesh some dog owners, usually the problems at the other end of the lead I have always found.
Beat me to it there gal ......
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 08:05 PM

I do think that animals and to a large extent, dogs, reflect the attitude of their owners. If you take the time to teach them non/aggressive habits, they'll pick up on them.

I feel so sad for the animals who are owned by those who have them and 'train' them to be vicious or see them as a 'status symbol'. It could be so different - the animals pay the price for the humans who own them....

Gwyn
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes I agree with you. Trouble is if you allow an aggressive person to own a 10-15 stone dog you end up with a lot of aggressive dog, whereas if people were only allowed to own certain breeds then at least the potential for damage is somewhat lessened.

I like the idea of every owner having to undergo training and making the whole 'dog ownership' a much more involved procedure.

It is more than a little unsettling to see 30 stone of dog off their leads and heading straight for you. I mean my life nearly flashed before my eyes for a second there.
dogmad
Dorset, UK
dogmad is male 

20-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Let's face it - "responsible" dog ownership is never going to become law. We've even got the politicians (who MAKE laws) in prison ! It's not a "vote-catcher" - government even did away with dog licences, as it cost "too much" to produce them (& produced "too little" revenue), let alone monitor them. If only it was an ideal world. . . . . . . . .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Maybe a compulsory basic training qualification before taking ownership would help?
Absolutely.

in a way I can see why joggers might get nipped, because on occasions, I have been walking along around dusk, or along a lonely path, and heard someone running up behind me and it has made me nearly jump out of my skin. Dogs don't always bite through aggression, don't forget they can be startled, frightened, or protective of their family as well. If a dog "saved" his mistress or elderley owner from violent thugs, would it still be considered aggressive then?
A good point. I used to have two Dalmations and the male was very protective towards me. I was walking them through a forested area that's usually deserted (they were off the lead but very obedient) and a jogger did come running down the narrow path towards me. I called (rather than shouted) at him not to run towards us whilst, at the same time, calling my dogs to heel. The jogger kept coming and the male dog then decided to ignore me as he must have viewed the jogger as a threat and although he didn't bite the jogger, he did force the jogger off the narrow path and feigned a snap as the jogger passed. The same jogger came around a second time but this time, did slow down as he approached and the dogs ignored him. So, sometimes, joggers also need to be aware that their actions can spook an otherwise friendly dog.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 12:26 PM

I would agree - it is the owners and not the dogs who are to blame.

Friends of mine have two beautiful dogs - very large, very boisterous, very friendly - but totally out of control. I am reluctant to visit, although I love the dogs, because I do not like their behaviour. For example - last time I was there, I was sitting in an armchair by the window. A car stopped outside and both dogs leapt onto my arm chair - front paws on one arm and back paws on the other - leaving me with their dangly bits waving in my face. Their owners exclaimed "Boys, get down!" but did nothing to make them move. The dogs just looked round with that "Yeah, whatever" look on their faces and completely ignored the command. Sorry - I know it is their home - but that is not acceptable behaviour in my book. Animals (like children) need to know their boundaries.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Yes I agree with you. Trouble is if you allow an aggressive person to own a 10-15 stone dog you end up with a lot of aggressive dog, whereas if people were only allowed to own certain breeds then at least the potential for damage is somewhat lessened.

I like the idea of every owner having to undergo training and making the whole 'dog ownership' a much more involved procedure.

It is more than a little unsettling to see 30 stone of dog off their leads and heading straight for you. I mean my life nearly flashed before my eyes for a second there.
Mark the same could be said of cars. If you allow an aggressive person to own a certain make of car they seem to become even more aggressive and a danger to themselves and others. Could we then restrict the kind of car a person can own?

Enforcing training or a breed of dogs on owners would be impossible, the kind of people who usually need to learn how to train dogs are the very ones who would not comply. The responsible owners don't need it.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 02:35 PM

I know a seemingly responsible and amazingly sane individual who has a 10 month old puppy ~ cross between a Standard Poodle and a Spaniel ~ Springerdoodle ?

It's BIG and nuts ~ thinks it's a lapdog FGS.

Bounced all over me the other week
nightmare

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top