Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 05:59 PM

Re: Meals in the 1950s

Mutton is extremely expensive now lamb is killed very young due to health and safety regulations (mad cows disease and scrappie) so to get an older animal is quite rare.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 06:00 PM

Nom

Mutton is or was tried to be`posh` Aged sheep.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Mistress we will take boiled mutton,a glass of porter and a serving wench-after we take a glass of sherry wine
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Boots ->
Did anyone watch the programme about the food we ate in the 1950s. It was so bad, unbelievably incorrect, and the woman who was the wife was absolutely useless in the kitchen. I wonder if they will make a mess of the 1960s too.
Still good fun to watch and perhaps remember some things if you experienced them.

The first thing I thought was wrong was the dripping on slices of "National Loaf" bread - we had ours on toasted bread and if it was beef dripping there was more taste than just salt the lad complained about - where did they get that silly woman from?!

I was born in 1951 and, believe it or not, I remember things when we came to back England and I remember Rations.

I was at least 18 months old but I may have been older; as my parents are long dead I have nobody to ask anymore.

I remember lots of spuds, cabbage, cauliflower and swede when in season and spinach too, all of which did fill you up but there were few treats but I never really missed them so even today I hardly ever eat desserts at all.

I didn't like liver and couldn't eat kidneys but my mum would have had that and we kids had Fray Bentos Corned Beef a lot or later on, Spam if we had "meat", which wasn't often.

I don't remember fish much but I do remember having it on Fridays for some reason that still escapes me.

I think the 60s may be more interesting as I was 9 in September 1960 but by that time my Dad had left and much of the time I was too preoccupied with being the "man of the house" as my mother put it, trying to earn money to buy my own clothes etc. before and after school.

That continued well into my teens so no real happy family memories for me and by then my mother was a virtual alcoholic.

It'll be interesting to see the 60s programme though, just a pity about the cast!

My granny could have knocked up a meal for four out of virtually nothing!

Wish she was still around sometimes - she was special. stevmk2
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 06:09 PM

Mutton and porter for me OG, cant handle the serving wench though.

My Mum was an awful cook, but used to make home made broth which i liked, made with ribs lovely stuff, not sure what the ribs belonged too, but ive never matched the flavour in any thing ive made.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 09:43 PM

My missus loves ribs, I don't know from whence they came either Nom.

I always wondered what Goats meat was called, I don't believe I know anyone who's eaten Goat "I had some kid for dinner today Cyril"

"Goat meat or goat's meat is the meat of the domestic goat (Capra aegagrus hircus). It is often called chevon or mutton when the meat comes from adults, and cabrito, capretto, or kid when from young animals"
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2015, 11:37 PM

curried goat is one of the best dishes..great taste and not too fatty..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2015, 01:02 AM

I remember my Mum used to make a stew/casserole with 'scrag' (neck of lamb), and also a steamed bacon & onion pudding with bacon bits.
I also remember my dear old Grandad used to love a plate of Tripe - aaggh.
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2015, 12:28 PM

When we lived in New Zealand it was rare to get lamb as most of it was exported and we mostly had hogget, a lamb that is a year old or thereabouts. More flavour than lamb. The farmer that we get our pork from managed to get us half a hogget from a farmer he knows. Lovely flavour. Mutton is hard to get in the UK but can be found.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 10:04 AM

I always think of the English as a nation of offal eaters. I too remember rationing and 'making do'. Liver, lights (lungs), heads, hearts, spleen and kidneys, together with those awful British sausages (so much bread you never knew whether to fry or butter them). I know things have changed but that's what I remember most.

My parents kept rabbits for our Sunday meal I can even remember my mother cooking pigeons - lots of meat on them, not.

I still like liver, kidney and hearts and eat them regularly. Years ago my local deli had pigs trotters which I love too, I think I bought four, had one put the rest in the fridge to savour later. When my kids came home from school my daughter came storming out of the kitchen, "I don't know what they are but I am not eating another thing out of that fridge until they are gone." Philistines!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top