Join for free
Page 11 of 26 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 02:16 PM

Re: Windows 10

well i tried 10,
now iv just returned to 7,,
windows 10 is designed for smart phones in my opinion,
and as i dont do mobile phones,windows 7 is ok for me
Seadog
Bristol Uk
Seadog is male  Seadog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 03:50 PM

I have had mixed success with Win 10. I first updated a Fujitsu laptop from 8, and it all worked fine. The boot time was quite slow, but I got rid of all the apps I didn't want, and changed some settings plus disabled some unwanted start up items, and it settled down OK. There are some good features, but like
all things new, it takes some time to familiarise. That was the good bit. I then updated another Novatech laptop from 7 Pro, and it worked , but with a boot time in excess of 3 minutes. After some tweaking, The boot time reduced to the same as before, but that's only OK if you know how to do it. Then a couple of days ago, when I shut down, Windows was installing some updates, so I let it run and auto shut down. At the next power up, all I got was a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top right hand corner. The web is awash with reports of this, and to date I have not been able to restore it to any working order. It will not run the Original Win 7 CD, reporting various errors, corrupted or missing files. Right now I have an expensive black plastic doorstop, as that's about all it's fit for.
I have not contacted Microsoft yet, but will do so when I have a couple of hours spare. One thinG Ihave learned is that if you Install 10, you can only revert back to your previous OS once.
If you install 10 a second time, you cannot revert back. You would need to reinstall from the original CD
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think it's not so much that Windows 10 is bad. It's more that the computer, the system and the general condition of the system being upgraded cannot be catered for by the upgrade process.

A computer, new or old, may have glitches and/or many combinations of hardware and software. It could be all but impossible for an upgrade process to cater for all of these factors. I reckon this is why the upgrade process goes OK for some but not for others...
I think that is correct!! I first installed Win 10 on my new notebook where the installation went all right although I don't like the new Edge browser as it seems dumbed down and touchscreen orientated. I still use Internet Explorer there.

It was only after that had gone all right for some weeks that I decided to risk my desktop PC when the Microsoft " invitation " arrived. However that one, although also a Windows 8.1, has a much more complicated set of programs on it including some C++ programming but all was working reasonably previously.

However the installation did not go well and problems started with an update the previous night which failed to install and caused problems shutting down. Then the installation gave the " this is taking longer than usual message " and then when it said it was ready to start the screen started flashing and I was left with a totally inoperative computer!!! The screen was flashing and the the Mouse pointer was unrecognised. The only thing that worked was to get Task Manager in with a Ctrl/Alt/Del which showed that the CPU was being cyclically overloaded which coincided with the the screen flashing and a process " Host Process for Setting Synchronisation " seemed to be overloading the computer.

Anyway the Microsoft helpline were useless and eventually, as the computers are on PC World maintenance agreements, I phoned them. They said they had had many similar problems and took me through the process for rolling back to Windows 8.1 - ( which you can only do for a month after installation ).

Obviously I had done all the backups with external discs etc before starting any of this and I have in the past always avoided Operating System updates the reasons you say until it was time go get a new physical PC with the new version pre installed. Both have up to date Norton so the Firewall settings seem not to be the cause as I now gather that process is Firewall related or was blocked by the Firewall.

So now I have a Windows 10 notebook and a Windows 8.1 desktop and a lower opinion of Microsoft!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2015, 04:56 PM

My Son changed his home pc to W10 Saturday, but I am still not doing it.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2015, 05:53 PM

I'm running Windows 7 Pro and perfectly happy with it. I have read about too many issues with Win 10, installing and its dubious conditions it comes with. So to save myself the tears, I'm sticking with Win 7, but slowly migrating towards Linux which has none of the baggage which comes from Microsoft.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 06:28 PM

I've been running W10 on 2 ex-W8 PCs since 29/7 with no major problems.

I have issues with File History not working properly and fuzzy fonts.

I have had issues with MS Money not working and incompatible AV programs, all resolved.

Edge is not worth using until it permits add-ons so I still use IE, which occasionally freezes for certain sites.

So far, so good .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 06:34 PM

Just bought an HP lappie for my sister. We tried setting it up here at my place but she simply cannot remember any email addresses, so we can get the AV running.

She has to locate paperwork from our library computer class so she has an active (unless they's stopped it cos she forgot the password and never used it!) one. She has a different one (her daughter's) for FB and a new one for Google, but that too proved difficult. She does want to use FB on this laptop.

And annoyingly, none of the Sainsburys stores had any in stock. We could have used her discount card. I had to pay full price, in PC World, but don't mind.

Oh, back to OP, it has W10!
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:21 PM

I wasn't going to upgrade my laptop to windows 10, but then I had no choice. I spilt a drink on my laptop! bye bye laptop.
Went and bought a new one, Windows 10 already installed on it. It does remind me a bit of Windows 7, but I am still trying to sort things out. Some things I still can't figure but no doubt with time......................................lol
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:45 PM

This is a must-read:

How to reclaim your privacy in Windows 10, piece by piece

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29717...-by-piece.html

Read and action ASAP post-upgrade.

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 08:59 PM

Did anyone see this in the papers yesterday?

Windows 10 will automatically download on to Windows 7 or 8 PCs
Company to make Windows 10 a ‘recommended update’ next year, meaning those running updates will have it downloaded and will be prompted to install
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...8-pc-computers

so I'll get it automatically even though I don't want it... and though I can decline the installation after the download ... it will still sit on my hard drive gobbling up between 3 and 6G of space?

Page 11 of 26 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top