Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 03:17 PM

Re: What's wrong with Formula one?

No one has told me what a wum is?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
No one has told me what a wum is?
It means Wind Up Merchant, .... which I am not.... well not always.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It means Wind Up Merchant, .... which I am not.... well not always.
Thanks, did you really not know about the starting positions in F1?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Thanks, did you really not know about the starting positions in F1?
Of course I did...

But, it does seem a bit silly when you think about it. If you are slowest, you are put at the back.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

08-09-2018, 03:30 PM

Of course I did...

But, it does seem a bit silly when you think about it. If you are slowest, you are put at the back.
I never really thought about it. The better drivers could easily overtake the slower in most race tracks, but it could be a H&S thing, before that was invented, might cause more crashes.
In Marathons & other running races the contestants line up as in F1, best at the front.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 03:45 PM

Of course I did...

Well that’s how pole is decided, there’s not really a feasible way to do it another way, otherwise you would have teams not bothering to go out during qualifying, there are no ‘slow’ drivers in f1, only the cars,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-09-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Well that’s how pole is decided, there’s not really a feasible way to do it another way, otherwise you would have teams not bothering to go out during qualifying, there are no ‘slow’ drivers in f1, only the cars,
I agree.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Slower cars and some with reliability issues. And some bumping and bashing which is what happened between Vettel and Hamilton in that last race. That, you could say, gifted Hamilton the win.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Slower cars and some with reliability issues. And some bumping and bashing which is what happened between Vettel and Hamilton in that last race. That, you could say, gifted Hamilton the win.
Yes but that’s racing, shame Kimi didn’t win, he’s normally very good at managing his tyres but he desperately wanted that win, desperate driving for a man about to retire from f1 methinks ..
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:11 PM

Some forms of racing have time trials and then reverse the top 10 finishers from the trials. Every driver wants to be at least in the top 10 and therefore doesn't dare to "sandbag" in the trials. And it would be almost impossible not to go all out as if you did try backing off a bit, you might finish 15th or 18th and that's where you'd start.

Run flat out in the time trials and the worst you'd get is a 10th starting slot even if you do happen to finish first.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top