Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 01:24 PM

The postal service

I received a postcard yesterday from the post office to say they had in their possession a letter belonging to me which contained insufficient postage stamps to the sum of 20p and I am required to go into town and collect in and to pay a fine of £1 .

I am not expecting anything in the post but can't ignore the letter in case it is something important. I don't know why the postman can't bring it when he does the delivery, I expect it is because a lot of people work.

I am so cross about having to use petrol to drive into town also paying for a car park to collect the letter, if when I get there it doesn't look important I am going to refuse to accept it

I can send the card back with enough stamps to cover the postage and fine but I don't have that many stamps in the house , I would have to go to town to buy them.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 01:53 PM

Re: The postal service

I've had this happen a few times. Usually its when its a large envelope that the sender has just put an ordinary stamp on.(They are supposed to be weighed over a certain size) Our sorting office is a pain to get too as well so I hate it when I have to go there.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Tell them to return it to the sender. That way the Post Office pay.

eta - I heard that in the early days letters were paid for by the recipient. People worked out codes (certain names etc) which meant `I`m OK` or `Coming Home Soon` etc. So you could refuse to pay but still get the message.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 02:28 PM

Last time that happened to me it was junk mail but impossible to tell from the outside of the envelope. I wasnt happy.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 03:19 PM

I never go to the sorting office to pick whatever up I rearrange another delivery online. If however im not expecting anything I ignore it as im not paying a £1 for someone elses error.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 04:25 PM

I was amused by your thread title "The Postal Service". A contradiction of terms surely...
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 04:26 PM

I'd not be going to collect it either. I had one of these a few Weeks ago and as I wasn't expecting anything I just ignored it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 05:45 PM

I couldn't ignore it I'd worry that it was from a family member (or maybe I'm too curious/nosey by nature) ...mind you, I'd let them know, whoever sent it, that I'd had to pay extra!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 03:58 PM

Just read this and we are lucky here with our Postman,he is called Joe and is lovely.If you have any letters to post you just take them to the van and put them on the passenger seat and he posts them, a bit like the childrens programme reallyPostman pat, he also chats to you as he passes the house.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 04:50 PM

The trouble is as I found on my birthday, some folks give you an extra large card, and forget about the higher postage. Obviously you dare'nt tell them, as you grit your teeth and fork out the outrageous £1 charge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top