Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Samuel Goldwyn.

I love to read about the Hollywood movie tycoons and I had a laugh when I googled Sam Goldwyn. Sammy used to make some terrible blunders. 'A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on', being one of his better known outbursts, but I like this one better. When he bought the film rights to 'The well of loneliness', he was told he could not film it because it was about lesbians, he said, 'Thats alright, we'll make them Hungarians'. He always denied saying, 'The next time I send a damn fool for something, I go myself.'
I never knew he stayed in Birmingham for a few years before heading for the States in 1899.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Re: Samuel Goldwyn.

Those are some good ones, Jem! All new to me.Our Yogi Berra of the Yankees was famous for his garbled English; one that comes to mind is "deja vu all over again" ......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2011, 02:12 PM

I like that one Eileen, it reminded me of the Irish politician back in the 1800's when we were still under British rule, Boyle, I think his name was and he represented County Roscommon, anyway someone in the British parliament suggested the treasury should put aside monies to preserve an old historic building for posterity, he stood up and in a loud voice shouted. "Posterity?, why should we begger ourselves for posterity?, what has posterity done for us?".
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2011, 04:00 PM

LOL, and I like yours too, good one!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top