Join for free
Page 7 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Re: Reasons in favour of brexit

We would need to have a civil war to reduce our GDP by 8%.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So why should anyone be feeling sorry for Greece as per Bread's post? (or am I misinterpreting Bread's meaning?)

Didn't they create a situation of their own making? From what you read on the net their financial information was always a little cosmetically altered. Some were creaming when the pot was empty. Is that the fault of the EU?
I'm not apportioning blame on the EU as such Annie, I am aware that Greece brought on their own demise. However, they should never have been allowed to join the EU, it was obvious that the EU [namely the UK] was going to have to support them as with many other unproductive and corrupt countries. I wasn't under the impression that the EU was a charity...Wasn't it's primary function to make trading easier between economic viable countries? This was to be the EEC's downfall in my book, hence my vote to exit....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We would need to have a civil war to reduce our GDP by 8%.
It would not be a civil war, but a humanitarian disaster. You are for reducing GDP?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm not apportioning blame on the EU as such Annie, I am aware that Greece brought on their own demise. However, they should never have been allowed to join the EU, it was obvious that the EU [namely the UK] was going to have to support them as with many other unproductive and corrupt countries. I wasn't under the impression that the EU was a charity...Wasn't it's primary function to make trading easier between economic viable countries? This was to be the EEC's downfall in my book, hence my vote to exit....
I would never say that Greece is unproductive. They are highly enterprising people. One of the oldest and most intelligent of civilisations. But they should never have been part of the Eurozone. That's where the EU went wrong. Allowing weak players to enter the zone. The Euro should have been France and Germany at first. You need strong adherence to regulatory frameworks for the euro to work.

Should the EU have foreseen that Greece is not as open in its accounting as they would like?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 09:44 PM

So why should anyone be feeling sorry for Greece as per Bread's post? (or am I misinterpreting Bread's meaning?)

Didn't they create a situation of their own making?
Yes, in part they did.

However being part of the EU its interesting to see what the corrupt EU collective did when Greece's economy crashed.

They EU bailed out the banks and financiers in Greece and left the little people to swivel in the wind. In Greece, the little people had their life savings in the banks and businesses. When the crash happened they lost everything. One man who lost 100,000 committed suicide which hit the news at the time.

The EU bailed out its financial chums.

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws"
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 09:46 PM

But they should never have been part of the Eurozone.
There should never have been a Eurozone in the first place. A "one size fits all" currency is a pipe dream. Farage told the EU autocrats time and time again that their belligerent determination to force the Euro on everyone was a mistake and could never work. He was right. The Euro has I believe caused immense damage.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 09:49 PM

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...siness-warningd to have a civil war to reduce our GDP by 8%.

I don’t know what the impact of civil war would be but the general consensus is that a no deal brexitcouldhsve that magnitude of impact

8% is the Figure the CBI analysts indicates fo nod deal There are others that are higer. Even TMs deal is forecast somewhere between 3 & 5% reduction

Liam Fox has certainly changed his tune. He’s obviously seen and believed the facts

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...itics-46366162

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...no-deal-brexit

https://www.investmentweek.co.uk/inv...eal-goes-ahead
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 09:50 PM

It would not be a civil war, but a humanitarian disaster. You are for reducing GDP?

GDP dipped to about -2.4% the lowest it's been due to the financial crash of 2008.

To get to -8% would really take some doing - a lot more than leaving the EU that's for sure. Think civil war and you get close to that.

So far all the treasury forecasts and project fear forecasts have been completely wrong. It's no surprise they will be wrong again - if like to see how that -8% is calculated...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-02-2019, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
There should never have been a Eurozone in the first place. A "one size fits all" currency is a pipe dream. Farage told the EU autocrats time and time again that their belligerent determination to force the Euro on everyone was a mistake and could never work. He was right. The Euro has I believe caused immense damage.
Realist we may not agree about everything but I agree with you on this. Except I see no reason to install fromage in your post. Don't forget Dyson was for it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-02-2019, 09:52 PM

GDP dipped to about -2.4% the lowest it's been due to the financial crash of 2008.

To get to -8% would really take some doing - a lot more than leaving the EU that's for sure. Think civil war and you get close to that.

So far all the treasury forecasts and project fear forecasts have been completely wrong. It's no surprise they will be wrong again - if like to see how that -8% is calculated...
what is the significance of 8%?

Page 7 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top